Eleven years ago, Vince Young was talked about as the possible future of the NFL. He had just won the BCS National Championship with the Texas Longhorns and then we drafted third overall by the Tennessee Titans. He went on to be NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year and made the Pro Bowl in 2006 and 2009. In 2011 he played six games for the Philadelphia Eagles. He signed for 2 weeks with the Cleveland Browns but was cut when the drafted Johnny Manziel.
Young retired a month after he was cut, he also went on to file bankruptcy the same year. Now, at 34, he tried a comeback with the Saskatchewan Roughriders of the CFL recently, but a torn hamstring ended it during training camp.
The former quarterback isn’t happy about what happened and took a shots at former New York Jets starter, now Tampa Bay Buccaneers back-up Ryan Fitzpatrick and his former head coach Jeff Fisher. during an interview with Sports Illustrated.
Young said about Fitzpatrick:
I’d see a quarterback and be like, ‘Dude is garbage, and I’m over here in the kitchen cooking turkey necks!?’ I hate to name-drop, but [Ryan] Fitzpatrick is still playing!? He leads the league in interceptions, and he’s still f—— getting paid? I mean, what the f— is going on?
Fitzpatrick led the NFL in interceptions with 23 in 2011 as a starter for the Buffalo Bills, but was third on the list last year with the Jets after Philip Rivers and Jameis Winston. Young’s career throwing numbers had him with 46 touchdowns and 51 interceptions.
He also talks about an incident with Fisher where he forgot his ID for a road trip to Philly and went to get it, but was left behind anyway.
I’m going to expose his ass. I feel like Fisher did that s— on purpose. I’m pulling in, seeing them pull the door down. I can hear the team yelling. Where I’m from, that’s like saying F you.
Young insisted that Fisher held the plane for other players in the past. It wasn’t the only incident with his former coach, but Young says that Fisher took the fun out of football for him. Now, at 34, he wants to try and rewrite his career… now, that will have to wait until he heals.
- Realities Of The NFL — When Head Coach Jeff Fisher Was Fired
- Mitchell Henry, 24-Year Old NFL Tight End, Passes Away
- Spotlight On Cam Newton: A Season Starts With A Single Throw
- The NFL Is A Business First – Just Ask Recently Released Receiver Jeremy Maclin
- The Baltimore Ravens Suffer Injury-Filled Voluntary OTA's
- From New York To Cleveland - Calvin Pryor Traded To The Browns
- Dan Taylor Unveils Sci-Fi Noir Novella ‘Pi Private Eye’ - March 18, 2018
- NFL Draft 2018: Trade Near the Top as Jets and Colts Swap Picks - March 18, 2018
- Cirque du Soleil Aerialist Dies After Fall During Live Performance - March 18, 2018
- Krypton Season 1: Titles and Synopses for First 3 Episodes - March 18, 2018
- Legends of Tomorrow Season 3: 7 New Images Fuel the Ava Speculation - March 18, 2018