The former CEO and co-founder of Playdead, Dino Patti, has started up a new studio with animator Chris Olsen called Jumpship. The pair are based in Guildford, England, and their first project is a mysterious sci-fi title called Somerville “that chronicles the lives of key individuals in the wake of a global catastrophe.” Patti’s former company you might know thanks to their work on indie favorites Limbo and Inside.
Jumpship’s first game is an original IP that was conceived by Olsen, and the project’s teaser trailer features what looks like an alien invasion.
As for the company itself, its goals are lofty according to the statement provided on Jumpship’s website:
Our philosophy is to break preconceived notions of what games can be by exploring the creative possibilities of the medium. We believe in games as a legitimate and positive endeavor; with potential not only as an entertainment medium, but as a tool to question the human condition. We strive to support our intent with an unwavering ethic in all facets of the process. This unwillingness to take the path well-trodden, to aim for standards seemingly out of reach and meticulously handcraft every aspect is where the weight of value lies for us as a studio. It raises entertainment to something deeply personal.
Further details about Somerville are unavailable at this time, but you can watch the teaser below.
- Cities: Skylines’ Mass Transit Expansion is Now on Xbox One and PS4 - August 9, 2018
- Pokémon: Let’s Go Pikachu and Let’s Go Eevee Will Feature Mega Evolutions - August 8, 2018
- Blizzard Is Working on Several New Diablo Projects - August 8, 2018
- Ashes of Creation Announces a Massive Summer Update - August 8, 2018
- The Coming Storm Expansion Is Now Live on Dauntless - August 8, 2018