With PlayerUnkown’s Battlegrounds hitting Xbox One soon, and with potential plans for “other consoles,” it looks like developer Bluehole is looking into the mythical creature that is cross-platform Play. Right now, cross-platform only exists going between PC and one console. Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo have never been known to work too well together, and the vast differences in the systems have made cross-platform almost an impossibility. But that doesn’t stop various companies from trying to get it to work.
Cross-platform play is basically gaming’s Holy Grail.
PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds has sold over four million copies since its Steam Early Access release in March. So naturally Bluehole would be looking to expand that profit by harnessing the gaming unicorn that is cross-platform play.
Speaking with VG247, Bluehole executive producer Chang Han Kim said the company is interested in letting console players play with their PC friends. “Cross network play between the PC and the console is definitely something we want to do down the road,” Kim said. “We don’t anticipate we’ll have any technical issues with that.”
However, considering the game’s emphasis on competitive multiplayer, Bluehole is aware that they will have to tweak the game to make sure those using a controller can compete with players using a mouse and keyboard. “If we’re going to allow players to use controllers we need to have the aim assist added in and things like that,” Kim said. “We’re not going to be supporting it right away, but it’s something we’d like to look into later.”
The controller/mouse issue is only one of the ways in which balancing cross-platform play is going to be a logistical nightmare, but if Bluehole can get cross-platform working despite the numerous hurdles in the way, that’s absolutely going to put PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds in the history books.
- Microsoft & Bluehole Announce Partnership For 'PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds'
- A Twitch Channel Takes Third Place In A 'PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds' Match
- Dr. DisRespect Gets Banned From 'Player Unknown's Battlegrounds' For Teamkilling
- Dataminers Find 50 New Items In 'Player Unknown's Battlegrounds'
- 'PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds' Team Teases New Desert Map
- Book Expo: Every Book Nerd’s Safe Haven
- Twitch Expands Their "Prime" System To Over 200 Countries
- Marvel Battle Lines Will Not Include the Liefeld Captain America Cover - October 19, 2018
- Final Fantasy XIV Gets Spooky with the All Saint’s Wake Event - October 18, 2018
- Here is Everything You Need to Know About Battletech: Flashpoint - October 18, 2018
- Dauntless Reveals its New Riftstalker Behemoth and Dark Harvest Event - October 18, 2018
- What Even is Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden? Funcom is Here to Explain - October 18, 2018