In Quahog, flags were flown at half-staff on Sunday night as Adam West, mayor of the fictionalized town and one-time Batman who passed away earlier this month at age 88, received a warm and loving tribute from his Family Guy family. A rerun of the March episode The Dating Game (in which West appeared) was preceded with a “In Loving Memory” picture in honor of the late actor.
Serving as Quahog’s chief executive on Family Guy since 2000 and until his untimely death, West’s Mayor Adam West stood as a hyper-fictionalized version of the actor whose eccentric choices were always putting the town into all types of trouble. West’s last appearance was in the second-to-last episode of Season 15, which aired on May 21.
Family Guy creator Seth MacFarlane wasted no time expressing his grief over the loss of his colleague and friend, taking to Twitter to post his feelings shortly after West’s death:
“Family Guy has lost its mayor, and I have lost a friend. Adam West was a joy to work with, and the kind of guy you always wanted to be around. His positivity, good nature, and sense of fun were undeniable, and it was always a big jolt of the best kind of energy when he walked in to record the show. He knew comedy, and he knew humanity. I am beyond fortunate to have had the privilege of working with him, and he will be profoundly missed by all of us. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for all that you have given, Mr. Mayor. You’re irreplaceable.”
In an interview in 2012, West stated that he knew from the very first time that they worked together that he would be working with MacFarlane again:
“I had done a pilot with Seth [MacFarlane] that he had written for me. It turned out we had the same kind of comic sensibilities, and got along well. When Family Guy came around and Seth became brilliantly successful, he decided to call me and see what I was doing, He asked if I would like to come aboard as the Mayor, and I thought it would be neat to do something sort of absurd and fun.”
- SDCC: Celebrating Adam West And What He Meant To Me
- Cult Following E03: Bleeding Cool’s ‘American Horror Story’ LIVE-BLOG! - September 19, 2017
- Fox Developing British Crime Drama From Jim Piddock, Mark Gordon - September 19, 2017
- ‘American Horror Story: Cult’ Episode 2 Recap: “Pinky To Pinky…” - September 19, 2017
- The Walking Dead Season 8: New Key Art Unleashes Rick’s ‘All Out War’ - September 19, 2017
- Stranger Things Writer/Producer Justin Doble Signs Exclusive Deal With Amazon - September 19, 2017