The final installment of the most recent trilogy of the Plant of the Apes movies is coming to an end which means more interviews and more new images. This time our new image and comment from director Matt Reeves comes from Empire. The image features a battle wear Caesar (Andy Serkis) and a quote from Reeves. When asked about inspiration for this film and the tone he was going for Reeves had a bunch of specific titles in mind.
“I wanted this film to be like a Biblical epic,” explains Reeves in the new issue of Empire. “Mark [Bomback, Reeves’ co-writer] and I looked at classic war movies: The Bridge On The River Kwai, Patton, Apocalypse Now. But we were also thinking in terms of things such as The Ten Commandments. I wanted it to feel very intimate in the foreground, but with grand vistas always dwarfing [the characters]. In a sense it’s about these two species pitted against each other and nature being greater than both of them. I wanted a David Lean ape movie.”
Reeves also talked about how he was visually expanding the look of the movie by shooting on 65mm. This is a battle that is going to define the future of this world and despite the fact that we more or less know how it ends that doesn’t mean it won’t feel epic in scope. There is going to be real loss on both sides by the time the smoke clears but there is also going to be a clear winner. That win, though, is likely going to come at a great cost.
A new poster was also shared a few days ago and it looks nothing like any of the others. It’s kind of neat.
Summary: After the apes suffer unimaginable losses, Caesar wrestles with his darker instincts and begins his own mythic quest to avenge his kind.
War for the Planet of the Apes is directed by Matt Reeves and stars Andy Serkis, Woody Harrelson, Steve Zahn, Amiah Miller, Karin Konoval, Judy Greer, and Terry Notary. It will be released on July 14th.
- War For The Planet Of The Apes Review: One Of The Summer's Best
- Matt Reeves Compares Caesar And Batman; "Trying To Do The Right Thing In A Corrupt World"
- New 'War For The Planet Of The Apes' Video Shows Off What A Talent Andy Serkis Is
- [Sundance 2018] The Guilty Review: A Game of Telephone That Doesn’t Quite Connect - January 19, 2018
- [Sundance 2018] Our New President Review: A Terrifying Montage of Russian Propaganda - January 19, 2018
- It’s Jaeger vs. Jaeger in New Pacific Rim Uprising Images - January 18, 2018
- The Writer of The Jungle Book 2 Gives an Update on the Movie - January 18, 2018
- New Tomb Raider Trailer Drops Tomorrow — Here’s a Teaser - January 17, 2018