Every since word came out that Netflix had cancelled the Wachowski’s Sense8 series after two seasons, fans have taken to social media in an effort to change the streaming services mind. A response to that movement was posted on the official Sense8 Facebook page:
To our Sense8 family… We’ve seen the petitions. We’ve read the messages. We know you want to #RenewSense8, and we wish we could #BringBackSense8 for you. The reason we’ve taken so long to get back to you is because we’ve thought long and hard here at Netflix to try to make it work but unfortunately we can’t. Thank you for watching and hope you’ll stay close with your cluster around the world. #SensatesForever
Fueling the fan push was the recent success of a similar fan outcry to save cancelled NBC series Timeless that in fact did get a surprise renewal. Netflix has continued to insist that the cancellation of Sense8 was due to viewership and not some internal controversy.
Actor Brian J. Smith took to Twitter to write his own message to the fans and thank them for their support.
I just wanted to take a moment to personally thank all of you for the love and support and fight you’ve put up the last week or so. In the wake of such bad news it was heartening to know that what Sense8 stood for meant so much to so many people.
And since you’ve been so extraordinarily passionate I feel it’s only fair that you get more than lip service or a silly tweet from me.
Guys, there are no secrets here. I’ve been given the same reason for the cancelation that you have: viewership. As far as I’m aware there is no shady court intrigue that contributed to Netflix’s decision, and I know that a lot of very smart people had to reach a consensus in order to pull the plug on a show that they had already invested an insane amount of capital in, even if that meant the story would never get an ending. I think the saddest part of finishing a show this way is knowing that future audiences will never pick up a story they know has no resolution. It’s seems like such a waste.
You can read the full message here.
- Sense8 No More - Netflix Cancels Series After Second Season
- Exclusive Extended Previews For Pathfinder: Spiral Bones #1 and Vampirella #11 - March 20, 2018
- Writer’s Commentary: Marc Andreyko on Legenderry Red Sonja #2 - March 20, 2018
- Allison Williams Joins Netflix’s ‘A Series of Unfortunate Events’ - March 20, 2018
- Exclusive First Look at Gabriel Hardman and Carlos D’Anda’s Aliens: Dust to Dust #3 Covers - March 20, 2018
- Legends of Tomorrow Season 3, Episode 15 Recap: Necromancing the Stone - March 20, 2018