The crimes related to Pokémon GO just keep going up and getting more outrageous, as a Long Beach native learned this week. 57-year-old Jayson Lingen has been given a seven-year prison sentence for striking a 17-year-old boy in the head with a metal rod while he was playing the game.
The reasoning why he did it is still unclear, as the Los Angeles Times reported on the incident and the sentencing on Thursday. The kid was walking down Aquarium Way last year when the game was brand new, trying to catch a Pikachu in the area. Reports state that Lingen yelled something at the teenager before striking him with a metal pole to the head. Lingen, who was already convicted of assault with a deadly weapon in 2013, pleaded no contest to the game-related assault and the judge threw the book at him for it. The victim was treated for injuries but wasn’t hospitalized at the time.
I don’t think we can stress this information enough whenever stories like this come around. It seems like every two weeks we’re reporting about a new crime-related incident involving the popular app. For real, if you haven’t gotten the message yet, please head our personal warnings when playing Pokémon GO: Stay aware of your surroundings, don’t commit criminal acts, and do not get yourselves injured or killed. It isn’t worth it over a video game you’ll all stop playing five years from now.
- 'Pokémon Sun and Moon' Finally Gives Us Some Details On Marshadow
- Your Next 'Pokémon GO' Event? Fire & Ice!
- The New Anti-Cheat System In Pokemon Go Has Made Rare Pokemon Impossible To Find
- You're Getting More Legendary Pokémon in 'Pokémon GO' This Summer
- Life Imprisonment A Real Possibility For A 'Pokémon GO' Robbery Suspect
- Pokemon Go Is Finally On Instagram
- 'Pokémon Go' YouTuber Facing Prison Time For Gaming In A Russian Church
- Cloud Finally Added To The Final Fantasy Brave Exvius Roster - December 11, 2017
- A Look At The Full Roster For Dissidia Final Fantasy NT - December 11, 2017
- The Atari Box Will Be Available for Pre-Order This Week - December 11, 2017
- At Long Last, Hello Neighbor Gets A Launch Trailer - December 10, 2017
- Forza Motorsport 7 To Add Halo-Themed Racing Suits - December 10, 2017