Were you watching Wonder Woman this weekend and thought that the Amazons look like they could break you in half? That’s because they probably could. According to an Entertainment Weekly feature the movie filled the cast of Amazons with real life athletes that brought the fight scenes to life.
“The challenge was that I had to ride with one hand and have the sword in the other hand and kill a person at the same time,” said Dutch supermodel, Victoria Secret Angel, and trained horsewoman Doutzem Kroes. “Which sounds horrible, but it was so fun to do!”
Kroes was just one of many powerful women from all fields that met the call to be an Amazon. Kroes had to audition, according to EW, but Brooke Ence, an American Crossfit champion, and Madeleine Vall Beijner, a Swedish professional fighter, were asked personally to come.
“I got an e-mail asking if I could do fighting on film,” Beijner recalls. “I said, ‘Well, yes, I can fight, and I think I can fight in a movie. So yes, I’ll do it!’ ”
The women all got together for strength training along with swordplay, horseback riding, and stunt play.
“The trainers said they wanted us to look like the female version of 300,” Beijner says.
Ence mentioned that she found it refreshing to train with an all-female team.
“It really is cool to see this whole training area, and there’s not one male figure in sight,” Ence adds. “It’s just women wrestling other women, kickboxing, doing pull-ups and practicing with spears — just a lot of stuff that in the real world is very male-dominated.”
Once they took to the beach the ladies got to tap into their inner warriors and truly let their strength and power shine through.
“The first day we were on-set with all of our swords and shields, it felt like a different type of power,” she says. “And we looked awesome.”
As for Kroes the best moment for her came when her young son came to visit her on set. He got to see his mom in full battle armor which he admired.
“If I could just have that face framed as a picture on my wall,” she says. “I think I melted because he has never looked at me like that ever. He was just in full admiration of his mommy as a warrior.”
Wonder Woman, directed by Patty Jenkins, stars Gal Gadot, Chris Pine, David Thewlis, Robin Wright, and Connie Nielsen. It’s out now.
- Wonder Woman Pulled From Algerian Ramadan Festival, But Organizers Say It Will Return
- Video: Gal Gadot And Chris Pine Crashing Our Wonder Woman Screening
- Diana Takes Her Sword Everywhere In New Wonder Woman Clip
- New 'Wonder Woman' Poster Shows Off Her Strength
- Wonder Woman TV Spot: "The Gods Made The Amazons To Restore Peace To The World"
- Marvel Producer Calls the Post-Avengers 4 Stories “Refreshing” and “Surprising” - May 20, 2018
- Deadpool 2 Writers Talk Vanessa and a Possible Deadpool 3 [Spoilers] - May 20, 2018
- New Solo: A Star Wars Story TV Spot Teases New Footage - May 20, 2018
- Deadpool 2 Takes the Top Spot at the Box Office with a $125M Opening - May 20, 2018
- The Scenes Shot Just for the Deadpool 2 Trailers [Spoilers] - May 20, 2018