Cindy Holland, VP of Netflix original content, has just released a statement announcing the cancellation of Sense8 after two seasons.
After 23 episodes, 16 cities and 13 countries, the story of the Sense8 cluster is coming to an end. It is everything we and the fans dreamed it would be: bold, emotional, stunning, kick ass, and outright unforgettable. Never has there been a more truly global show with an equally diverse and international cast and crew, which is only mirrored by the connected community of deeply passionate fans all around the world. We thank Lana, Lilly, Joe and Grant for their vision, and the entire cast and crew for their craftsmanship and commitment.
The news of the Wachowskis’ series cancellation comes less than a week after the streaming service pulled the plug on The Get Down from Baz Lurhman. Only a handful of Netflix series have been cancelled as the company pushes towards more original content. Sense8 and The Get Down join Marco Polo, Lilyhammer, Hemlock Grove, Bloodline and Longmire (Originally at A&E) as the only other Netflix series to be canceled.
Rumors of possible cancellation have been running for a week mostly focused on the expense of the series with each episode costing roughly $9 million to make. Expense was also the believed reason for the Get Down being cancelled. A social media movement started up to save the series after the rumors began to spread, but the effort was for naught.
- Netflix On Sense8: "We Can't Make It Work"
- Sense8 Star Brian J. Smith Calls On Fans To Prevent Cancellation With Hashtag #RenewSense8
- 'Yardie', The Directorial Debut Of Idris Elba, Begins Production
- Behind The Scenes Of Sense8
- "Nothing Changes If We Always Play It Safe" - New Sense8 Trailer
- Exclusive Extended Previews For Pathfinder: Spiral Bones #1 and Vampirella #11 - March 20, 2018
- Writer’s Commentary: Marc Andreyko on Legenderry Red Sonja #2 - March 20, 2018
- Allison Williams Joins Netflix’s ‘A Series of Unfortunate Events’ - March 20, 2018
- Exclusive First Look at Gabriel Hardman and Carlos D’Anda’s Aliens: Dust to Dust #3 Covers - March 20, 2018
- Legends of Tomorrow Season 3, Episode 15 Recap: Necromancing the Stone - March 20, 2018