Apparently, a lot of Kickstarter supporters for the Friday The 13th game are about to go all Jason on the developers at Gun Media for sending out copies of the game to people before they got theirs. Back when the game was nothing more than a dream, thousands of people backed the project and blew the top off their $700k goal. Now with the game set to come out today, many of those people are outraged that game reviewers, media reps, streamers and content creators got a copy of the game before they did.
Now we here at Bleeding Cool haven’t received a review copy ourselves, but we know friends and colleagues at other websites who have and are doing their proper reviews because that’s part of the language of hyping a game. If you want something to reach a wider audience, you have to let media and influential people try it out to get the word going to average fans who may not know it exists. Kind of like what this story is doing. Which is what Wes Keltner tried to explain to the backers on their forums. The part that makes all of this nerve-wracking for Gun Media, however, is that products are usually promised to the backers in advance of an official release.
As press/media/reviewers we understand what he’s talking about, but we also feel for the Kickstarter backers having backed some campaigns ourselves and been on both sides of getting it early and getting it late. By giving others who didn’t spend a dime on the Kickstarter access to the game before they shipped out copies to fans, Gun Media may have just killed whatever goodwill they had with their fanbase and may never see that kind of loyalty again. Only time will tell as DLC and updates come out how people will react to them going down the road, not to mention if they decide to do a second game in the same fashion.
- 'Friday The 13th' Devs Need Your Help Getting A New Character In The Game
- 'Project Rap Rabbit' Does Not Reach Their Kickstarter Goal
- The First Free Content Update For 'Friday The 13th' Drops June 20
- Like A Stalking Jason, The Console Update For 'Friday The 13th' Is Coming
- 'Shroud Of The Avatar' Director Richard Garriott Launches New Campaign And Releases Financial Details
- The Flaming Jason Skin Will Not Become 'Friday The 13th' DLC
- IllFonic Responds To The Issues With Launch And Gameplay Of 'Friday The 13th'
- Killing Jason In The Friday The 13th Game Is A Convoluted Mess
- Seasons - If I Only Told One Story Before I Died…
- It's Time To Head Off To Camp! Friday The 13 Gets A May Release Date
- Paramount's Rough Monday: World War Z Sequel Pulled Off The Schedule And Kills Friday The 13th Entirely
- New Friday The 13th Gameplay Trailer Reveals First Look At "Jason Lives" Jason, Teleportation Power
- Get A 17 Minute Look At The Friday The 13th Game
- Friday The 13th Game Gets Some Pre-Alpha Footage
- Intellivision Reveals Their Amico Console at Portland Retro Gaming Expo - October 21, 2018
- Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection is Getting an Update Tuesday - October 21, 2018
- Konami Adds Some Other IP Assets Into Metal Gear Survive - October 21, 2018
- Valve Pushes the Artifact Beta Into November - October 21, 2018
- Konami Releases Details on the First Three Yu-Gi-Oh! Sets of 2019 - October 21, 2018