As I’m sure all of us are aware, Baby Groot is one of the cutest things to ever be created. Since he danced his way into our hearts in Guardians of the Galaxy, fans have wanted more. And Marvel has delivered, with both GOTGV2 and the new I Am Groot series by Christopher Hastings, Flaviano, and Marcio Menyz.
The story follows Baby Groot as he launches his fellow Guardians into an unknown part of the galaxy, and then winds up launching himself off of the ship. He does so largely out of being bored, so as someone who babysits young kids, I can certainly understand everyone’s frustration with Groot. Of course, you can’t stay mad at him — he’s so goddamn adorable. Damnit, Marvel.
Hastings delivers a strong narrative with the small tree creature-slash-assassin. Despite only speaking three words, he does inflect great emotion through Groot.
Flaviano’s art adds to it, as Groot is given a visible range of emotion to help the reader understand what he’s saying. His overtly cartoony Groot stands out wonderfully well against the much more realistic Guardians (even Rocket), drawing the reader’s eye to Groot in every panel he’s in. This is a great trick, as it does show that Groot is the central focus.
At the climax of the book, the art gets downright weird, but it’s beautiful. The planet Terminal is presented as an eerie alternate world, with vibrant colors (thanks to Menyz). The colors are stunning throughout the whole book — he uses them well to set up the overall feel of each page. I honestly can’t pick a favorite panel, since this whole book is beautiful to look at.
This post was brought to you in part by Third Eye Comics, Maryland’s premier comic shop! Check them out for all kinds of exciting in-store events and sales.
Be the first to leave a review.
- Watch James Gunn Bust Out Baby Groot's Dance Moves From GotG Vol. 2
- New 'Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2' Featurette Features New Baby Groot Footage
- New Star Lord And Baby Groot Meet And Greet At Disney's Hollywood Studios
- Baby Groot Is Built Ford Tough In This New 'Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2' Tie In Commercial
- Groot And Star Lord Are Immortalized As Potatoes At The Disney Store
- Just Keep Swimming to Get These Limited-Edition Finding Nemo Pins - July 29, 2018
- Q+A with Matt Ellison, Senior Producer on LEGO DC Super-Villains - July 29, 2018
- War Machine Marketing’s Ro Kohli Talks Pantera Mini Guitars, Custom Toys, and More! - July 29, 2018
- A Perfect Han and Leia Close Out Our Last Cosplay Shots from SDCC 2018 - July 27, 2018
- Barzinga with Bleeding Cool’s Kaitlyn Booth: San Diego Comic-Con Aftermath - July 27, 2018