It’s been an interesting year at the box office thus far and a year where several class ceiling appear to be breaking. We have Patty Jenkins directing the Wonder Woman movie that is shaping up to be a huge hit. We have Jordan Peele turning a tiny independent movie into a monster sized smash in Get Out. We have another one today as IndieWire pointed out; F. Gary Gray has become the first African American to direct a billion-dollar movie with The Fate of the Furious.
The eighth entry in the “Furious” franchise currently stands at about $1.2 billion, with more than 80% of that business outside North America — making this the unusual (and welcome) case of a black director’s film making the bulk of its money outside the U.S.
We all like to make fun of this series but it does so a lot of things right. It has always been wonderfully diverse with its cast which has helped it gain worldwide appeal F. Gary Grey has been a hard working director in the industry for years and who has had a lot of decent to good hits. He was shot onto the A-list when Straight Outta Compton walked away with not only an Oscar nomination but over twenty other awards before the year was up.
This couldn’t happen to a better guy and we wish Mr. Gray the best in his future endeavors.
- Deadpool 2: Zazie Beetz Says Domino and Deadpool Match “in Terms of Wit and Banter” - February 24, 2018
- Black Panther Costume Designer Confirms Her Next Project: Silver & Black - February 24, 2018
- Ellen Page Is Open to Playing Kitty Pryde in the Tim Miller X-Men Movie - February 24, 2018
- The Nerd Dome Podcast Episode 119 – Black Panther and Star Wars: Rebels Spoilers - February 23, 2018
- Black Panther Composer Did Extensive Research, Scored the 4-Hour First Cut of the Movie - February 23, 2018