Netflix has a new original series and they decided to call it Gypsy. This is willful ignorance at its best because you cannot tell us that there wasn’t anyone in Netflix who knows that “gypsy” is rapidly turning into a slur for the Romani people. The worst part is the series appears to be playing off of the word “gyp” or the idea to commit fraud or swindle someone. In this case doing the opposite of what the doctor, played by Naomi Watts, is saying she’s supposed to do. The title is racist, there is no way around it, and it should be changed right away.
Aside from that it actually looks really good which is a shame.
Therapist Jean Holloway becomes too immersed in the lives of her patients.
Gypsy, or whatever it ends up being called we can hope it changes in the next six weeks, will stream to Netflix June 30, 2017.
- [SPOILER-FREE] Star Wars: The Last Jedi Review: Moving, Unexpected, and Breathtaking - December 12, 2017
- Hugh Jackman Comments on the Potential Disney-Fox Merger - December 11, 2017
- New Story Details Revealed for New Mutants - December 11, 2017
- The Post Review: A Frighteningly Relevant Film About the Importance of a Free Press - December 6, 2017
- Ridley Scott Says the New Alien Movies Will Have Fewer Aliens - December 5, 2017