Netflix has a new original series and they decided to call it Gypsy. This is willful ignorance at its best because you cannot tell us that there wasn’t anyone in Netflix who knows that “gypsy” is rapidly turning into a slur for the Romani people. The worst part is the series appears to be playing off of the word “gyp” or the idea to commit fraud or swindle someone. In this case doing the opposite of what the doctor, played by Naomi Watts, is saying she’s supposed to do. The title is racist, there is no way around it, and it should be changed right away.
Aside from that it actually looks really good which is a shame.
Therapist Jean Holloway becomes too immersed in the lives of her patients.
Gypsy, or whatever it ends up being called we can hope it changes in the next six weeks, will stream to Netflix June 30, 2017.
- The Nerd Dome Podcast 128: All of the Deadpool 2 Spoilers - May 25, 2018
- Solo: A Star Wars Story Takes in $14.1M on Thursday Night Previews - May 25, 2018
- New Trailer for Christopher Robin Shows Off the Characters - May 25, 2018
- Shane Black Talks About Why He Wanted to Direct The Predator - May 24, 2018
- Maleficent 2 Actor Ed Skrein Talks About the “Phenomenal Cast” - May 24, 2018