Netflix has a new original series and they decided to call it Gypsy. This is willful ignorance at its best because you cannot tell us that there wasn’t anyone in Netflix who knows that “gypsy” is rapidly turning into a slur for the Romani people. The worst part is the series appears to be playing off of the word “gyp” or the idea to commit fraud or swindle someone. In this case doing the opposite of what the doctor, played by Naomi Watts, is saying she’s supposed to do. The title is racist, there is no way around it, and it should be changed right away.
Aside from that it actually looks really good which is a shame.
Therapist Jean Holloway becomes too immersed in the lives of her patients.
Gypsy, or whatever it ends up being called we can hope it changes in the next six weeks, will stream to Netflix June 30, 2017.
- The Nutcracker and the Four Realms: 5 TV Spots and 2 Featurettes - October 16, 2018
- Lionsgate Releases the Final Poster for Robin Hood - October 16, 2018
- New Featurette for Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald Teases Why Everyone is in Paris - October 16, 2018
- How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World – Producer Brad Lewis Talks Wrapping the Trilogy at NYCC - October 14, 2018
- How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World – Jay Baruchel Talks Letting Hiccup Go at NYCC - October 14, 2018