Splash Report is reporting that they’ve got a hot tip in the casting hunt for the lead role in 20th Century Fox’s upcoming live-action comic to screen adaptation of comic creator Mark Millar’s Flash Gordon-esque series Starlight, and that is none other than Sly Stallone (Rocky, Rambo) himself.
Sly has been in comic adaptations before, with his stint in the 1995 Judge Dredd. The script for Starlight has been written by Rogue One’s Garry Whitta, and X-Men: First Class’s Simon Kinberg will be producing.
Millar had spoken to IGN back in 2015 about his inspiration about the aged space hero:
When I was a kid my Dad used to have this old 35mm projector and we had a lot of the Republic serials – things like Flash Gordon and Commando Cody. I grew up with a real love of that – I must have been the only kid on my housing estate in Scotland that was really into this stuff. BBC2 were showing a lot of that stuff at the time too. So I grew up really loving 1930s and 1940s serials.
As for the type of actor that he’d be looking for to be in the role, he said:
I think it needs to be someone more all-American. I think there’s got to be a Buzz Lightyear vibe to him – somebody who feels almost like an astronaut.
Millar has previously had several of his comics translated to film including Wanted, Kick-Ass, and Kingsman: The Secret Service due out next year.
- Sylvester Stallone Hints At A Possible Story For 'Creed II'
- Maze Runner: The Death Cure Review: Actually, It’s Better Than the First Two - January 20, 2018
- How MoviePass Will Let You See 365 Movies a Year for $90, and Why Theater Chains Are Furious About It - January 2, 2018
- 2017 Film Countdown #1: From Arrival to Blade Runner 2049, The Dune Reboot Found its Director - December 31, 2017
- 2017 TV Countdown #1: Fandom Loses Richard Hatch, Star of Battlestar Galactica - December 31, 2017
- Black Mirror Outdoes Both Star Trek and The Orville with USS Callister - December 31, 2017