A few weeks ago we mentioned that the University Of Utah were becoming the first big college to start a varsity eSports team. Now, Stephens College joins the ranks as the first women’s college to offer scholarships exclusively for eSports.
ESPN broke the news today in an interview with college president Dianne Lynch, saying that the school thought about doing this for about a year before they settled on Overwatch as their primary game. Hell of a choice too with a roster of powerful women characters like Pharah, D-Va, Ana, and Zarya to name a few. Also, doesn’t hurt to have influential characters like Mei and Mercy, who in their backstories are an accomplished scientist and a world-renowned doctor. Players on the team will receive partial scholarships, which includes access to the same facilities and resources as the school’s other varsity teams on campus. A quick quote by Lynch from the ESPN article:
“This is just an extension of what it means to be an athlete,” Lynch said. “Athletics has certain characteristics and certain qualities that enrich an athlete’s life. There are multiple kinds of athletics, and this is just a new kind. “It’s different, and it looks different, and it feels different, but it is, as you know, one of the most rapidly growing industries and athletic events in the world.”
Stephens College is now looking to recruit players, with the goal of finding six primary players and six substitutes. They will then compete in the Overwatch TESPA Cup, which is a fall collegiate eSports tournament. We personally wish the college luck and would love to see this program blossom into a fighting force that can take on anyone.
- DreamHack Austin Super Smash Bros. Melee Tournament Champion Wins In The Most Pathetic Way Possible
- Finding Beauty In Difficult Times: We Review ‘The Lion’s Song’ - July 24, 2017
- ‘The Sims 4’ Will Be Coming To Xbox One In The Fall - July 24, 2017
- Kang The Conqueror Debuts In ‘LEGO Marvel Super Heroes 2’ - July 24, 2017
- ‘Dying Light’ Devs Lay Out Plans For Tons Of DLC Content - July 24, 2017
- Win These Custom Prints From ‘Valerian: City of Alpha’ - July 24, 2017