Just in time for your holiday celebrations, Square Enix put out a new slate of 21 screenshots for the HD remaster Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age. The screens show some battles and some character closeups from the return to Ivalice, and it looks pretty neat, though there is certainly some depth missing.
The PR spin of this slate of screenshots is that, well, they’re supposed to be terrifying. I’m not quite sure that I agree. Sure, the show off some closeups of your enemies and a ton of battle animations, but it just looks like your usual Final Fantasy – a bunch of bright pretty animations, lots of health bars and damage counters, and the enemies are almost entirely obscured by the skill animations.
That said, none of them look particularly intimidating. Nor does the actual gameplay of FFXII: The Zodiac Age seem like something you’d be thrown back by. Unless, perhaps, this was the first time you were looking at a Final Fantasy game. Then, maybe, the turn-based gameplay with stupidly bright animations might seem a bit much.
Personally, I just want to know why there’s so much lens flare?
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age is set to release on PS4 in the West on July 11 and in Japan on July 13. This is one of the few Final Fantasy games that will release in the west before hitting Japan. That’s a bit neat. Pre-orders are now available for the game, and you can check out the details of it’s Collector’s Edition here.
- Story Trailer Released For 'Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age'
- Marvel Heroes Omega Closed Beta Begins Today - On PS4 Only
- World Of Tanks Has Created A New Genre Of Metal - August 16, 2017
- Digital Sales Of ‘The Town Of Light’ Are Being Donated To Mental Health Awareness - August 16, 2017
- F1 2017 Boasts An Expanded Career Mode And A Championship Feature - August 16, 2017
- Prey Now Comes In A Trial Version - August 16, 2017
- Decepticon Shockwave Joins Transformers: Forged To Fight - August 10, 2017