Deck13’s upcoming RPG The Surge got a new trailer this morning showing off the targeting, looting, and equip processes. And when you think about it, weapon equips should be a bit more lengthy and difficult here, since you’re literally adding them to your robotic exoskeleton.
In order to loot things from enemies – because stealing their robotic limbs to attach to your own exoskeleton is how you get new weapons – is done by strategically attacking certain points on enemies. So the seemingly random combination of systems shown off in this trailer make a certain amount of sense. First, you see an enemy, then decide what you want to loot.
To cut off the parts you want, you’ll start by damaging specific targets with a combination of vertical and horizontal attacks – the resulting dismembered part then determines what piece of equipment is looted: the schematic corresponding to the sliced armor part, salvaged materials for crafting the corresponding piece, or even the weapon wielded by the enemy! This means when approaching an enemy, players face a difficult decision: do they target an unarmored body part for a shorter fight, or risk a lengthier, damaging battle for a chance at slicing off a shiny new piece of equipment?
The Surge is set to release on May 17th for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC on May 16th. The newest trailer is below, but you can also check out the game’s previous trailer that focused on it’s combat here. But really, the combat is basically Dark Souls with robots.
- The Elder Scrolls Online is Going to the Summerset Isles - March 24, 2018
- Atari Film Producers Announce the Bushnell Token Cryptocurrency - March 24, 2018
- This Year’s GDC Awards Were Pointless Because of Breath of the Wild - March 24, 2018
- Activison Almost Made a Spyro the Dragon MMORPG - March 24, 2018
- Rare’s Craig Duncan: Rare Didn’t Get Enough Credit for Their Work on Kinect Sports - March 24, 2018