Grass Kings #1, from Matt Kindt and Tyler Jenkins, has sold out the day of release.
Cue up the second printing, right? Not this time.
My understanding is that final initial orders were quite healthy. 60% better than Kindt’s previous original series from Dark Horse, Dept. H. And 200% better than Kindt’s earlier Dark Horse creator-owned series Mind Mgmt.
With such healthy orders, it makes sense BOOM! feels there are already a good amount of copies are in the marketplace. But are there?
Retailers are racking up backorders as they sell out. Fans like Patton Oswalt are pushing the series online.
I’ve also learned BOOM! is going to continue supporting the individual issues by pushing back the initial collection. While it hasn’t been announced yet, the collection will not come out until February of 2018. When it does, it will be in a deluxe hardcover, similar to the Grant Morrison Klaus package, a fancy high end affair.
Many Matt Kindt fans typically would wait for the trade after reading the first issue. When they realize how far off a collection is, will they break down and snap up individual issues to not miss the story? Will issue 2 will be under-ordered? Will the sold-out #1 find aftermarket heat? Can the absence of a 2nd print actually help build readers for a series?
Only time will tell.
- DC Comics Cancel Orders For Batman: Creature Of The Night #4 – Will Return Later in 2019 - December 12, 2018
- Mark Seifert’s Marvel Declassified Returns on December 17th - December 12, 2018
- What Toys do People in the Marvel Universe Buy? Amazing Spider-Man #11 Reveals All - December 12, 2018
- Valiant Announces ‘Breakthrough’ Line-Up for 2019 - December 12, 2018
- Is Brian Azzarello Rewriting the Deaths of Thomas and Martha Wayne in Batman Damned? (Spoilers) - December 12, 2018