The new Fox series APB could be very interesting science fiction if it’s handled as something more than a cop show. The concept is that tech genius billionaire (Justin Kirk) ends up in store robbery that takes his best friends life. When the police fail to respond to the robbery and make no effort to catch the killers because of layoffs, he steps in and buys the precinct from the city and equips the officers with cutting edge technology. If the series just becomes a police procedural after that, it will be disappointing. Science Fiction has always been a great medium for displaying social issues in a way to make people pay attention. This could be a way to address many of the issues we see on the news involve police, both good and bad. Now to see if the producers are willing to go that route and if the audience is willing to let them.
APB premiers on February 6th.
- Carolina Panthers’ Price Tag Estimated Between $2.3 and $2.8 Billion - February 23, 2018
- American Pickers’ Mike Wolfe to Guest Star on NCIS - February 23, 2018
- Writer’s Commentary: Jeremy Whitley on Vampirella #10 - February 23, 2018
- Gotham Season 4: Gordon and Fox Take on the Toy Master - February 23, 2018
- Mads Mikkelsen Stars in Netflix Adaptation of Dark Horse Graphic Novel ‘Polar’ - February 23, 2018