Recently Marvel Comics revealed that longstanding bit-character D-Man was a gay man. Aside the snickering about what “D” meant in gay slang, it was mostly considered a positive move for the publisher and consistent with the character. And everyone moved on.
Today, DC Comics has done something similar with the Nightwing character Stallion, who first appeared in 1997 in Nightwing #17, and who died with much of the rest of the town Bludhaven in Infinite Crisis.
Well, that’s all been done away with. He’s back. The ex-Dallas Cowboys football player-turned-supervillain who dresses up in leather and a stetson.
However did we not see it before?
Anyway, in today’s Nightwing, Stallion has returned to be part of the group of super villains attending group therapy. And doing a little psychoanalysing over his violent tendencies. Though not before he has exercised some of them.
With some homophobic language along the way. Is he overcompensating for something? Yes.
Quite the urge. Should Nightwing be flattered? Or should using the name Stallion have been a giveaway? As Bleeding Cool’s Joe Glass pointed out to me this morning, there is a well-known gay porn studio called Raging Stallion and the phrase is used in gay slang to describe a well-endowed man…
Nightwing #11 by Tim Seeley and Marcus To is published today.
- Blackbird by Sam Humphries and Jen Bartel Ties Returnability to The Wicked + The Divine - August 20, 2018
- Frankensteining Marvel Comics November 2018 Solicitations - August 20, 2018
- Gerry Duggan Writes to Retailers About Dead Rabbit and Analog - August 20, 2018
- Malorie Blackman, Joy Wilkinson, Pete McTighe, Vinay Patel and Ed Hime to Write for Jodie Whittaker’s Doctor Who Season 13 - August 20, 2018
- Iceman Brings Back Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends - August 20, 2018