Recently Marvel Comics revealed that longstanding bit-character D-Man was a gay man. Aside the snickering about what “D” meant in gay slang, it was mostly considered a positive move for the publisher and consistent with the character. And everyone moved on.
Today, DC Comics has done something similar with the Nightwing character Stallion, who first appeared in 1997 in Nightwing #17, and who died with much of the rest of the town Bludhaven in Infinite Crisis.
Well, that’s all been done away with. He’s back. The ex-Dallas Cowboys football player-turned-supervillain who dresses up in leather and a stetson.
However did we not see it before?
Anyway, in today’s Nightwing, Stallion has returned to be part of the group of super villains attending group therapy. And doing a little psychoanalysing over his violent tendencies. Though not before he has exercised some of them.
With some homophobic language along the way. Is he overcompensating for something? Yes.
Quite the urge. Should Nightwing be flattered? Or should using the name Stallion have been a giveaway? As Bleeding Cool’s Joe Glass pointed out to me this morning, there is a well-known gay porn studio called Raging Stallion and the phrase is used in gay slang to describe a well-endowed man…
Nightwing #11 by Tim Seeley and Marcus To is published today.
- Marvel Cancels All Of Star Wars: Shadow Of Vader by Chuck Wendig - November 15, 2018
- Fantastic Four #6 Jumps to a 60 Page Story – and Two Dollars More - November 15, 2018
- Stan Lee Tribute to Run on Marvel Comics Covers in December and January - November 15, 2018
- Chip Zdarsky and Marco Checchetto Relaunch Daredevil #1 in February - November 15, 2018
- Second Printings For Uncanny X-Men, Avengers, Daredevil, Venom, Spider-Geddon, Wolverine, Fantastic Four - November 15, 2018