As I’ve written a bunch of times, I am excited for the Universal Monster shared universe. While shared universes before a first movie is out is a cart way before a horse, the idea of a major movie studio getting behind horror with a ton of money and umph is a pretty unique thing.
That universe will kick off next year withThe Mummy, which stars Tom Cruise and Russell Crowe. Jon Spaihts, who was a screenwriter on the movie. recently talked about the movie with The Hollywood Reporter. When asked what that film will have in common with Spaihts’ Doctor Strange, which he co-wrote. he explained:
I think a similar desire to legitimately explore the frightening and the cosmic. In The Mummy, I think we’re going to see the first Mummy film in the entire Universal canon with the true power to terrify. The earliest [Boris] Karloff and Bela Lugosi Mummy movies were scary in a small way, perhaps a dated way. They were almost parlor movies. Subsequent movies have been more swashbuckling. This one is going to have all of that action and adventure, but a legitimate power to terrify. I think that’s going to be the new experience of that film.
That is what I love to hear. I think there is a ton of potential here. Fingers crossed.
- Anthem Gets Story Trailer Showing Off Impressive Cutscenes - December 6, 2018
- Far Cry: New Dawn Shows Off Beautiful Post-Apocalypse World - December 6, 2018
- Ubisoft is Teasing a Nuclear Far Cry to be Revealed at The Game Awards - December 6, 2018
- Destiny 2’s Black Armory is a Bizarre First Week Experience as You Can’t Really Play It [Update] - December 5, 2018
- Epic Games says Unreal Tournament isn’t being Actively Developed - December 5, 2018