Maz Kanata was one of the more unique characters in Star Wars: The Force Awakens, but did you know that it was actually Lupita acting in those scenes? The clip below will appear in the Star Wars: The Force Awakens DVD release bonus footage. It shows a behind-the-scenes look at the performance-capture suit used to bring Lupita’s Star Wars character, Maz Kanata, to life.
Visual Effects Supervisor Ben Morris explained:
“Lupita could actually perform as a normal human, which suddenly released her.”
It’s quite amazing to watch something like this happen. The result was a more realistic character for fans to enjoy. Lupita shared the clip with fans earlier this week:
— Lupita Nyong'o (@Lupita_Nyongo) March 21, 2016
Star Wars: The Force Awakens will release on DVD/Blu-Ray on April 5th.
- The Retro 90s Style We Loved In Pokemon TCG Is Back! - November 12, 2016
- #OddlyCrypticTweets Purpose Revealed! A Chat With Otis Frampton About The Future Of Oddly Normal - November 12, 2016
- A Deep Conversation About Storytelling: BOOM! Studios Discovering New Worlds At NYCC 16′ - October 8, 2016
- “SCOTT SNYDER LIKES MY BOOK!” The Image Comics Storytelling Panel NYCC 16’ - October 8, 2016
- “You Learn A Lot From Reading” Be Your Own Superhero: Intersectional Feminism In Comics At NYCC 16′ - October 8, 2016