What the promoters are calling the “Better Than Black Friday: Charity Comic Sale”, the Superheroes For Hospice group has put together an event for Saturday November 9th that will have over 100,000 comic books on sale including high-end titles from the Silver Age. This also marks the return of the Get Into Comics lecture series. This will also be a chance for comic fans to meet a variety of creators and get books signed and sketches drawn… all for a good cause…
Conceived by Spiro Ballas, the charity has raised more than $55,000 to date for Barnabas Health Hospice and Palliative Care Center (BHHPCC). Ballas is the Volunteer Coordinator for the facility. Proceeds have helped assist individuals and families dealing with life-limiting illnesses.
“These comic industry veterans are so big hearted and willing to help this worthwhile cause,” “And the public has turned out time and time again to support our efforts by donating comics and attending the sale.” Said Ballas, “The variety of comics that have been donated has resulted in some great finds for die-hard collectors, and has also started some on the road to collecting. With our deep sliding discount scale per quantity bought, our sale provides many holiday gifts and stocking stuffers.”
The Get Into Comics lecture series begins at noon. This show’s presentations include:
- Painting with Shinhan Markers
- Nick Mockaviak, Sketch Artist, Art Educator
- Make Your Own Comic: a step-by-step course in character and story building
- Mindy Indy, Comics Writer, Artist and Colorist (Misfortune Cookie; Deadpool Max)
- All Ages Comic Books and The Art of Comics; both presented by Multiversity
In addition to the above creators, a host of comics industry veterans, indie comic favorites and up-and-comers will be on hand to autograph books and comics, sell original art and do sketches. Guests scheduled to appear include:
- Paris Cullins – legendary Marvel and DC artist (Blue Beetle, Batman, Blue Devil, etc.)
- Paul Castiglia – veteran comics writer-editor who has worked for Archie, DC, Dark Horse, etc.
- Dave Ryan – writer-creator of War of the Independents.
- Emilio Velez Jr. – writer, artist and creator of the acclaimed family-friend comic book series, The Dodgeball Teens
- Jared Breslow – customized toy designer and photo-artist.
- Joe Endres – writer-creator of Colossians and Space Scamps.
- Darrell Goza – penciller and inker for DC, Continuity, Blackthorne, Kiss Me Comix, etc.
- Michael Grassia – cartoonist for print, video and web; creator of webcomic, Plunger Pup
- Ryan Burgess – The Tough Spirit
- Ralph Drew – 8-Bit Crafts
The free event takes place on Saturday, November 9, 2013, from 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. It will be held at the Barnabas Health Corporate Office, located at 95 Old Short Hills Road in West Orange (directly across the street from Saint Barnabas Medical Center, next door to the Atkins Kent building). For more information or to make a comic book donation to Superheroes for Hospice, please contact Spiro Ballas at firstname.lastname@example.org or 973-322-4866.