Alasdair Stuart writes;
One year ago to the day, Dredd was released. It was brilliant; a perfect storm of faithful adaptation, inventively clever violence and a cast and crew without a single weak link. Even the ethos behind it was in line with 2000AD; punky, inventive, a scrappy outsider fighting a sea of bigger movies.
Unfortunately, in financial terms (And don’t even get me started on Box office success as a measure of artistic worth) it didn’t do so well. As a result, the promised sequel featuring the Dark Judges never appeared.
But you don’t put Dredd down that easily. Or it seems, Dredd‘s fans. A petition, started by two fans, has now garnered not only 80,000 signatures but the support of Karl Urban and 2000AD itself. The end result, is the Dredd Sequel Day of Action.
One year on from the movie’s release, to the day, the Dredd Sequel Day of Action is designed to raise the movie’s profile once again. Spinning out from the sequel petition, signed by 80,000 people, the campaign is asking everyone who can to buy the DVD or Blu-Ray of the movie, buy it from itunes or download it through Netflix. The idea is simple; show that the audience for the movie is there and it deserves a sequel.
This is that rare fan petition that’s actually for something positive and I support it wholeheartedly. So much so in fact that I bought a copy on Blu Ray this morning.
Dredd was a truly excellent movie and this is an amazing campaign, supported by 2000AD itself and the star of the movie. It’s a great movie and a great cause so, today, give Dredd a little backup. Let’s face it, he’d do the same for you.
- Final Fantasy XV Preview – What Four Hours With The Title Told Us - August 16, 2016
- PAX South 2016: Deckbound Unbound: The Evolution of the TCG - February 2, 2016
- Call of Duty: Blacks Op 3 Has Sold Better Than The Last Two Games In The Franchise - November 11, 2015
- The Nathan Drake Collection Was The Best Selling Digital PS4 Game In October - November 11, 2015
- This War of Mine Hits Smartphones Today - November 11, 2015