It does seem like something’s in the air right now. Batgirl, Storm Dogs, FF, Red Hood And The Outlaws, Non Humans, Demon Knights, all seem to be exploring the concept of being transgender to a variety of degrees and success. But all of them are aimed at teenagers or above.
Kids cable channel The Hub seems to be bringing that down a bit with SheZow, a new cartoon featuring
a 12-year-old boy — named Guy — uses a magic ring to transform himself into a legendary crime fighter. When evil lurks, Guy says, “You go girl!” and becomes SheZow.
It’s has a bit of a feel of the Ultraverse comic Mantra, it doesn’t seem to be about trying to reflect your own inner sense with your outer self, but it does at least raise the issue and concept for a younger audience. Although not everyone is on board with that, of course.
The chief executive of the Hub, who may or may not have been high (and leftist) when she greenlit this project, is Margaret Loesch.
Ah well. Onwards. And well done, Margaret.
UPDATE: Already been airing in Canada for a year and they don’t seem to have been struck down. Here’s the intro;https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW3FBjKt7Co
- DC Comics April 2018 Catalog – Solicits From Action Comics #1000 to Splitting Batman In Two… - January 22, 2018
- DC Comics Cancels Trinity With #22 in April 2018 - January 22, 2018
- Will Marvel’s New Young Guns Move the Needle? - January 22, 2018
- 20 Previews of Free Comic Book Day 2018 Titles, from Barrier to Relay to 2000AD Reneged - January 22, 2018
- Frankensteining Marvel Comics Solicits for April 2018 - January 22, 2018