It does seem like something’s in the air right now. Batgirl, Storm Dogs, FF, Red Hood And The Outlaws, Non Humans, Demon Knights, all seem to be exploring the concept of being transgender to a variety of degrees and success. But all of them are aimed at teenagers or above.
Kids cable channel The Hub seems to be bringing that down a bit with SheZow, a new cartoon featuring
a 12-year-old boy — named Guy — uses a magic ring to transform himself into a legendary crime fighter. When evil lurks, Guy says, “You go girl!” and becomes SheZow.
It’s has a bit of a feel of the Ultraverse comic Mantra, it doesn’t seem to be about trying to reflect your own inner sense with your outer self, but it does at least raise the issue and concept for a younger audience. Although not everyone is on board with that, of course.
The chief executive of the Hub, who may or may not have been high (and leftist) when she greenlit this project, is Margaret Loesch.
Ah well. Onwards. And well done, Margaret.
UPDATE: Already been airing in Canada for a year and they don’t seem to have been struck down. Here’s the intro;https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW3FBjKt7Co
- We Are All Monsters – A Cadaver’s Confession - January 22, 2017
- Through The Eyes Of An Elephant-Man - January 22, 2017
- ‘Bout Time … Deadpool Meets Gwenpool - January 22, 2017
- Bleeding Cool Bestseller List – 22nd January 2017 – “I Ordered Really Low On Monsters Unleashed But It Wasn’t Low Enough” - January 22, 2017
- So Why Were DC Comics April 2017 Solicitations Delayed A Week Anyway? - January 22, 2017