Colin Mahoney writes… Queue outside the store pre-launch
Big Bang Comics, the Dublin-based store behind the DICE convention, held the official launch of IDW’s Half Past Danger last week. Irish writer and artist Stephen Mooney was signing copies of issue one, and a limited edition numbered print (100) that was only available on the night.
Stephen Mooney (L) receives original artwork from Declan Shalvey (R)
The comic is a pulpy, serial-adventure styled romp through WW2, featuring all the staples you’d expect such as Nazis, femme fatales and spies, and some less historical but more fun additions –dinosaurs & ninjas.
The limited print available on the night
During the launch, fellow Irish artist Declan Shalvey (Venom, Deadpool) presented Stephen with the original artwork for his variant cover to issue #2. Early reports indicate that issue one is selling well, and is already a complete sell-out in Dublin (which I gather to be approx. 400 copies across 3 stores). It’s 27 pages of story with no ads, is huge fun, and you can read the first ten pages here.
- There’s A DC Comic In The January Loot Crate…. - January 19, 2017
- How The Green Lanterns Comic Tackles Anxiety In A Remarkably Superheroic Fashion - January 19, 2017
- Twenty-Three Uses For An Overshipped Marvel Comic - January 19, 2017
- Chris Ware, Cosey And Larcenet Are Three Finalists For Angoulême’s Grand Prix , After Alan Moore Pulled Out Again - January 19, 2017
- VIDEO – Stan Lee Unboxes His First Box As His Second Goes Silver Age - January 19, 2017