Colin Mahoney writes… Queue outside the store pre-launch
Big Bang Comics, the Dublin-based store behind the DICE convention, held the official launch of IDW’s Half Past Danger last week. Irish writer and artist Stephen Mooney was signing copies of issue one, and a limited edition numbered print (100) that was only available on the night.
Stephen Mooney (L) receives original artwork from Declan Shalvey (R)
The comic is a pulpy, serial-adventure styled romp through WW2, featuring all the staples you’d expect such as Nazis, femme fatales and spies, and some less historical but more fun additions –dinosaurs & ninjas.
The limited print available on the night
During the launch, fellow Irish artist Declan Shalvey (Venom, Deadpool) presented Stephen with the original artwork for his variant cover to issue #2. Early reports indicate that issue one is selling well, and is already a complete sell-out in Dublin (which I gather to be approx. 400 copies across 3 stores). It’s 27 pages of story with no ads, is huge fun, and you can read the first ten pages here.
- Batman’s Plan for Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy in This Week’s Batman #43 - March 19, 2018
- Man, Everyone Gets to be Worthy These Days (Thanos #16 and #17 Spoilers) - March 19, 2018
- Family of Star Wars/Deadpool Artist Nicole ‘Nik’ Virella Raising Money for Operation - March 19, 2018
- Golden Apple Comics Shop Launches Its Own Comics with Darick Robertson, Michael McMillian, and Lindsey Stirling - March 19, 2018
- Christopher Sebela and Joshua Hixson Launch Shanghai Red from Image in June - March 19, 2018