Last night at Comica in London, at St Martins College, Paul Gravett spoke to Russell Willis about his new digital enterprise, a boutique digital publisher/distributor for select graphic novels, Sequential.
The headline quote from Woodrow Phoenix describes features of the app, including a new panel flow style, audio commentary, and ease of use, from chapter browsing to author recommendation. They emphasise a lack of loading screen pauses, no depixelisation and in panel mode, an awareness of the panels around each one as the page flows.
Publisher Panel Nine has had a long history from magazine Infinity, to publishing in Japan, to returning to the UK for this project, publishing the works of Eddie Campbell, Hunt Emerson, Terry Wiley and more.
Not publishing superhero comics is a stylistic choice but also a marketing one, for the kind of image they want to present to promote Sequential as a boutique. It launches next week and I am rather aching to try it.
We also learned that Bryan Talbot has a two page comic in The prestigious Author magazine, their first ever, giving advice to a comics virgin. There’s a British Library exhibition on comics next summer being arranged by Paul Gravett and John Dunning, delving into the library’s collection. With a new Tate comics exhibition discussed in the bar afterwards, this seems a rather opportune moment to launch such an app. And Russell is also taking the opportunity to bring Infinity magazine back into print with four free issues being made available.
You can see how Sequential looks here.
And also layered storytelling with a new comic by Russell Willis and Terry Wiley.
Oh and there was a bit of an after party…
- Godshaper By Si Spurrier And Jonas Goonface – The Shape Of Comics To Come? - January 20, 2017
- Cullen Bunn Unleashes Another Monster, Regression With Danny Luckert For Image Comics - January 20, 2017
- Will Rosado Joins Catalyst Prime’s Free Comic Book Day - January 20, 2017
- Plague Of Locusts, Frogs Fall From Sky And Witchblade Returns As A TV Series Again - January 20, 2017
- Don’t Fear Kim Reaper…. Supernatural Romance Leads Oni Press’ Solicits For April 2017 - January 20, 2017