The creation of Batman by Bob Kane and Bill Finger, saw this sketch by Leonardo DaVinci inspire the Batwings of his costume.
Batman movie writer David Goyer has made a new TV series about Leonardo Da Vinci, DaVinci’s Demons , airing on Starz at 10pm on Friday the 12th. And the influence has now flipped, now with Batman’s wings inspiring Leonardo’s wing harness in the show.
But before my brain melts, do the similarities go further?
1. They both had traumatic experiences in caves
As a child Bruce Wayne fell into a cave-like well and was swarmed by bats, which left a lasting effect on him. Da Vinci’s writings also detail a horrific incident which happened to him in a cave when he was a child.
2. They were both inventors
Bruce Wayne was the innovative mind of Gotham city, providing inventions to military contracts and for his own personal use, such as the Batmobile, Batwing, Batsub… and don’t forget the Batusi. Da Vinci was a military engineer, inventing the machine gun and armored tank as well as the helicopter, bicycle and parachute. He never called them after himself though.
3. They both had issues with their fathers
Bruce Wayne lost his father at a young age and was raised by the family butler, Alfred. Da Vinci was born a bastard son to a peasant mother and a father that had only disdain for him.
Bob Kane and Bill Finger based Batman’s cape on Da Vinci’s designs. Da Vinci studied bats and birds to design his gliding wings.
Also, Finger, Kane and Da Vinci only ordered wings at KFC. Oh come on, you know the TV show will be full of anachronisms, might as well start them early.
- Will Rosada Joins Catalyst Prime’s Free Comic Book Day - January 20, 2017
- Plague Of Locusts, Frogs Fall From Sky And Witchblade Returns As A TV Series Again - January 20, 2017
- Don’t Fear Kim Reaper…. Supernatural Romance Leads Oni Press’ Solicits For April 2017 - January 20, 2017
- Jim Lee And Tula Lotay’s Take On Warren Ellis And Jon Davis-Hunt’s The Wild Storm - January 20, 2017
- When Dark Knight Fan President Donald Trump Quoted Bane In His Inauguration Speech - January 20, 2017