Hawkeye #8 by David Aja
Lady in red with a smoking gun; this is why I don’t date on OKCupid anymore. The retro-looking square pattern on her dress pleases the eyes as the theme of ‘red’ is overabundant with this cover. I enjoy the folds and static as well, for it does add to the retro factor. Aja’s a master, enough said.
Mind = blown. No really, look at the cover! That’s what I’ve been loving about this series; the constant past and present combined into one image. Past self may be doing okay, but things aren’t looking too good for future self. The colors and placement of the polygons are superb, and definitely enticing. Bravo, Mr. Walsh.
Getting a cover from O’Neill is like seeing an endangered snow leopard in the wild; extremely rare, yet beautiful to look at when given the opportunity. The gorgeous mosaic featuring a Poseidon-like archetype entangled with the Nautilus is definitely the eye-catcher with this cover, and entices the viewer to take note of the title. “Oh, it’s the latest LXG story from Moore & O’Neill? Shut up and take my money!”
Who knew word balloons could be so beautiful? I mean unless they’re constantly bombarding you with catchphrases and popular sayings, and you’re unfortunately psychic and can hear every single one of them. Just a great use of lettering, for not a single space of the page is wasted. No wonder Jean Grey went insane.
This is my favorite cover of the week, hands down. When you let Sienkiewicz do his thing, the man just completely kills it. This is a piece of artwork than can not only be placed in a comic lover’s den, but in a museum of art as well. The colors are truly electrifying, and the details are used conservatively yet boldly. While this Before Watchmen event has come to a close, it’s the variant covers like this that I’ll miss the most. Sienkiewicz is without a doubt a living legend in the industry.
Cameron Hatheway is the host of Cammy’s Comic Corner, an audio podcast. You can tickle him on Twitter @CamComicCorner.
- DC Comics Fixes Justice League International Omnibus Problems (Some Of Them) With Stealth Second Printing - January 18, 2018
- Vaughn Stein Developing Smoketown from Scout Comics as a Movie - January 18, 2018
- 6 DC Comics Covers for February 2018 from Lee Bermejo, Bilquis Evely, Guillem March, Alvaro Martinez, Shane Davis, and Doug Mahnke - January 18, 2018
- Promethea Joins the Justice League of America - January 18, 2018
- Brenden Fletcher and Karl Kerschl Finally Bring Isola to Image Comics for April 2018 - January 18, 2018