Gavin Lees writes for Bleeding Cool from ECCC;
44Flood is the art collective headed by Menton Matthews III, Ben Templesmith, Kasra Ghanbari and Nick Idell. Last year they ran a very successful Kickstarter program for their inaugural anthology, TOME.
At his table at Emerald City Comicon, Templesmith had one of three copies of the book’s companion piece, Explicitus est Liber, that shows the process behind some of the art pieces featured in the anthology proper by contributors such as Matthews, Templesmith, David Stoupakis and Tim Roosen. From a first glance, the art looks incredible — and is only likely to look better at the 12×18″ size of TOME — and seeing some of the background to the work adds to their impressiveness. While we can appreciate the finished works of Menton3, knowing that he mixes his own oil pigments makes his art seem practically alchemical.
Explicitus est Liber is due to start shipping out to Kickstarter backers in the next week, with TOME following soon after. Templesmith said that the shipment of books weighed in at over seven tons — that’s a lot of art!
44Flood are also progressing with the Vices series of books (the first, Lust by Templesmith, Matthews and Steve Niles, is currently in production) the next installments of which Templesmith promised would feature major figures from the world of comics and fine art… but refused to mention any names.
- A New Wolverine Comic From Marvel in April 2018… - January 19, 2018
- Martin Rowson to Adapt Karl Marx’s Communist Manifesto as a Graphic Novel, and More from SelfMadeHero in 2018 - January 19, 2018
- All 3 Marvel Comics Nominated for GLAAD Awards Have Been Cancelled - January 19, 2018
- Marvel Comics Signs Kelly Thompson as an Exclusive Creator - January 19, 2018
- Nancy Silberkleit Now Distributing Her Own Archie Comic, Featuring Scarlet, One Copy at a Time - January 19, 2018