At the ECCC ComiXology panel, David Steinberger covered a lot of topics.
How the French comics market is the same size as the US marker, with a sixth of the population. How ComiXology is the top grossing app in France and that ComiXology sell 40% of their comics outside of the USA.
How some people can actually read comics thanks to ComiXology in a way they couldn’t before, through understanding comics storytelling to physical disability.
How Alex De Campi should be championed as a pioneer of digital comics innovation, and how she pushed ComiXology to be able to publish her comic Valentine, with all added complexity in creating digital storytelling, paving the way for so much new content.
That, yes, there is a contingency plan if they go bust so that people can keep their content. But also that they would sell themselves at a low price as well to preserve the company and people’s collections. But that they are a long, long way from even considering any such thing.
That female new readers doubled in the last year and that the age range of readers is increasing rapidly. But that new readers don’t care about Wednesdays, they want to buy it all now, like Netflix.
But one thing they aren’t planning to do is produce comics, like Netflix are producing TV shows. At least, not like that. David used the Netflix quote “We have to become HBO before HBO becomes us”, but stated that such projects would be more akin to the way they were involved in the Atomic Robo exclusive comic for ECCC, suggesting the possibility to the creators/publisher and working with them to generate a suitable comic, rather than generating any original IP themselves…
- Godshaper By Si Spurrier And Jonas Goonface – The Shape Of Comics To Come? - January 20, 2017
- Cullen Bunn Unleashes Another Monster, Regression With Danny Luckert For Image Comics - January 20, 2017
- Will Rosado Joins Catalyst Prime’s Free Comic Book Day - January 20, 2017
- Plague Of Locusts, Frogs Fall From Sky And Witchblade Returns As A TV Series Again - January 20, 2017
- Don’t Fear Kim Reaper…. Supernatural Romance Leads Oni Press’ Solicits For April 2017 - January 20, 2017