I don’t mean that John Byrne has received two offers of marriage from men over the last year. Though I know to what extent some people will go to get original comic art by the man.
No, I mean that last year, we had Astonishing X-Men, in which Northstar decided to pop the question to a certain boyfriend of his. And then got married in a big media ceremony.
And then there was today’s proposal from Batwoman to Maggie Sawyer, revealing her secret identity as Kate Kane in the process.
Both same-sex proposals, both had the superhero popping the question to the civilian and both…
Had characters created by John Byrne. Northstar in Uncanny X-Men, and Maggie Sawyer in Superman. Both were written by Byrne to be gay, though decades ago he may not have expected to see stories regarding same-sex marriages to be possible in the comics in question. He’s a man who has never been Eisner nominated, not even the Hall Of Fame, but his work, often ahead of its time, has a habit of surprising, even decades later.
It’s a small thing, but I thought it was worthy of a tip of the hat.
And thanks to Pedro for prodding me.
- Godshaper By Si Spurrier And Jonas Goonface – The Shape Of Comics To Come? - January 20, 2017
- Cullen Bunn Unleashes Another Monster, Regression With Danny Luckert For Image Comics - January 20, 2017
- Will Rosado Joins Catalyst Prime’s Free Comic Book Day - January 20, 2017
- Plague Of Locusts, Frogs Fall From Sky And Witchblade Returns As A TV Series Again - January 20, 2017
- Don’t Fear Kim Reaper…. Supernatural Romance Leads Oni Press’ Solicits For April 2017 - January 20, 2017