I don’t mean that John Byrne has received two offers of marriage from men over the last year. Though I know to what extent some people will go to get original comic art by the man.
No, I mean that last year, we had Astonishing X-Men, in which Northstar decided to pop the question to a certain boyfriend of his. And then got married in a big media ceremony.
And then there was today’s proposal from Batwoman to Maggie Sawyer, revealing her secret identity as Kate Kane in the process.
Both same-sex proposals, both had the superhero popping the question to the civilian and both…
Had characters created by John Byrne. Northstar in Uncanny X-Men, and Maggie Sawyer in Superman. Both were written by Byrne to be gay, though decades ago he may not have expected to see stories regarding same-sex marriages to be possible in the comics in question. He’s a man who has never been Eisner nominated, not even the Hall Of Fame, but his work, often ahead of its time, has a habit of surprising, even decades later.
It’s a small thing, but I thought it was worthy of a tip of the hat.
And thanks to Pedro for prodding me.
- George Pérez “Doing Great, Feeling Much Better” - April 30, 2017
- Entering The Spill Zone With Scott Westerfeld Ahead Of Free Comic Book Day - April 29, 2017
- Ten Thoughts About Doctor Who: On Thin Ice – From Black Jesus To Punching Nazis - April 29, 2017
- Comic Creators At Ru Paul’s Drag Con, In Los Angeles This Weekend - April 29, 2017
- Separated At Birth – Moonstruck And Brave Chef Brianna? - April 29, 2017