“We were looking for a recommendation about comic books?”
“I recommend you don’t open a store and sell them.”
Ahead of last night’s Big Bang Theory, Bleeding Cool ran a “pre-emptive strike“, running thoughts on their favourite comic book stores by a number of our female readers, and challenging what looked like a rather negative portrayal of comic books, their readers and their stores. Just to give people an alternative viewpoint and something to easily point friends, family and colleagues to, if it were needed. We even got a little bit of off-the-record official backup.
So what did we learn from last night’s episode? After, you know, it actually aired?
That comic book stores are hostile places for all women, from the other customers rather than the owners though, with the store owner having to resort to threatening to hose his patrons down, and that superhero comics are really… what’s the word?
“There was a lot of action, the story moved along at a brisk pace, it was overall, what’s the word I’m looking for?” – Amy
“Stupid” – Penny
“So stupid.” – Amy
Thor, God Of Thunder #2 by Jason Aaron and Esad Ribic there.
“One page only had the word Brakadoom” – Bernadette
It didn’t really.
But that’s okay because these stupid superheroes are strangely addictive. Because of their massive stupid plot holes, they gain new life based on what you bring to them to fill them in.
Shop owner Stuart first recommended DC’s Fables – though issue one, rather than the more meaty, cheaper and more sensible first trade paperback. But Penny prefers Thor because he’s hot, something Stuart has to agree with. But maybe Penny, Bernadette and Amy might have had a more rewarding experience if they’d gone with Stuart’s advice..
But you know what? It could have been worse. They did get over, in part, the addictive nature of some comic books, which could be appealing. Fables got a decent plug. And I’m sure Jeph Loeb loved to hear the Red Hulk get so much attention.
But, yeah, it’s still The Television Show That Hates You.
- 31 Shots Of Cosplay From C2E2 Day 2 From Neon Leia To A Full Galactus - April 22, 2017
- Legacy Numbering, Classic And Modern Characters, Value Stamps And The Return Of FOOM To Marvel Comics – What Were Bleeding Cool Scoops? - April 22, 2017
- Ten Thoughts About Doctor Who: Smile – It’s A Good Thirteenth Life - April 22, 2017
- Talking Hydra, Marvel, Nazis, Captain America On A Saturday Morning - April 22, 2017
- Heavy Metal Have Their Own Dark Matter To Launch This Weekend At C2E2 – And You Can Drink It - April 22, 2017