Today’s Action Comics #16 not only tells us that Superman did indeed die at the hands of Doomsday (and that it happened three years ago, two years into Superman’s public existence), but it wallows in it. A chance to mourn again as Superman is attacked extradimensionally in a number of different time zones – which seem to splinter ever further from last month.
Not only is this a culmination of Morrison’s plots so far, all seemingly coming together, but he’s also dragging in plots from over twenty years ago that he had nothing to do with.
My word, that was over twenty years ago. And people still have copies in those dratted black plastic bags. And here’s the thing.
I’ve been watching Morrison take those wacky silver age and bronze age Superman and Batman comics and reinventing them, recreating them and reusing them, with some distance. I never read the originals. But now he’s doing it to the Superman comics I did read – and they never felt silly at the time.
But then of course none of them did. Basically, I’m jut catching up with the rest of you.
Of course in Swamp Thing #16, Superman is already dead. And this issue we finally see what is left of him…
I notice he’s lost the “armour” look. But even in death, he’s not wearing any external underwear.
Comics courtesy of Orbital Comics, London.
- Dark Matter Widens The Divide At DC Comics Between Dan DiDio And Geoff Johns - April 23, 2017
- Killing The 5 Year Timeline – Superman, Flash And Blue Beetle Spoilers For The Week Ahead, Rumbling Around C2E2 - April 23, 2017
- Bleeding Cool Bestseller List 23rd April 2017 – Batman And Superman Beat Secret Empire, But Redneck And Monstress Rocket Up The Chart - April 23, 2017
- No Gays In Nineties X-Men? That’s What Greek Gods And Goddesses Are For… - April 23, 2017
- Some Big Wins At The C2E2 Charity Auction - April 23, 2017