Today’s Action Comics #16 not only tells us that Superman did indeed die at the hands of Doomsday (and that it happened three years ago, two years into Superman’s public existence), but it wallows in it. A chance to mourn again as Superman is attacked extradimensionally in a number of different time zones – which seem to splinter ever further from last month.
Not only is this a culmination of Morrison’s plots so far, all seemingly coming together, but he’s also dragging in plots from over twenty years ago that he had nothing to do with.
My word, that was over twenty years ago. And people still have copies in those dratted black plastic bags. And here’s the thing.
I’ve been watching Morrison take those wacky silver age and bronze age Superman and Batman comics and reinventing them, recreating them and reusing them, with some distance. I never read the originals. But now he’s doing it to the Superman comics I did read – and they never felt silly at the time.
But then of course none of them did. Basically, I’m jut catching up with the rest of you.
Of course in Swamp Thing #16, Superman is already dead. And this issue we finally see what is left of him…
I notice he’s lost the “armour” look. But even in death, he’s not wearing any external underwear.
Comics courtesy of Orbital Comics, London.
- Image Comics To Publish 30 Walking Dead Tribute Variant Covers In October - July 27, 2017
- Captain America #695 Lenticular Cover By Alex Ross Homages John Romita Jr. And Bob Layton’s Iron Man - July 27, 2017
- Rich Johnston At The London Film And Comic Con Tomorrow, Table 38 - July 27, 2017
- The Return Of That Feminist Agenda T-Shirt (Marvel Comics Spoilers) - July 27, 2017
- The Return Of Wizard Magazine: A Guide To Comics? - July 27, 2017