Yesterday, Joe Casey talked to Comic Book Resources about delays to his Butcher Baker series with Mike Huddleston for Image Comics, and its upcoming return this week with issue 8.
For the record, “Ultimate Spider-Man” is only one of the many shows we’re currently running. My TV workload is batshit crazy and I’ll completely cop to that, but it actually has nothing to do with the interminable wait between “Butcher Baker” #7 and #8. The fact is, Huddleston found himself in a tough spot, having over-committed himself beyond the point of rational thought. He fell way behind and there was nothing I could do about it. It’s frustrating as hell and, in my opinion, supremely embarrassing. It’s not helping the cause of creator-owned comic books when creators can’t keep their shit together. Going into this, I thought it would be a fun, breezy ride that I could kick back and get my rocks off doing every month. Turns out, I’ve had to learn some harsh lessons from the experience.
On Facebook, Mike posted his reaction;
After taking a moment to dump on me, Joe Casey talks Butcher Baker #8- which arrives tomorrow!
Not to take a personal conflict public (although Joe wasn’t shy about giving his opinion via interview), but for the record: “overcommitment” was not the issue with Butcher’s schedule. As much as I love Butcher Baker it was a project that just didn’t make enough money for me to live on. I had to take other work to keep the lights on and work on Butcher when I could. I’ve apologized to fans and to Joe for the delay.”
Mike continued, saying;
Yeah, I think that answers any questions about future collaborations…. it’s too bad.
And in reference to a question about the end of Butcher Baker;
Yep, that’s the end. We haven’t been able to communicate on the trade either, so I think we are going to have the extra art, covers and pinups appear only in the European versions.
- The Siegel and Shuster Lost Superman Story that Marv Wolfman Rescued as a Boy - January 23, 2018
- Thanos #15, Avengers #677 and #678 Go to Second Print Before Even Going on Sale - January 23, 2018
- Venom to Get an “Epic” in the Fall of 2018… Another One? - January 23, 2018
- Image Comics Solicits for April 2018: Launching New Series Analog, Isola, Crude, The Dead Hand, and Skyward - January 23, 2018
- Ralph Macchio Returns to the Avengers for the Infinity Shards! - January 23, 2018