Someone’s been reading a lot of Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely We3, haven’t they? And by a lot, I mean all three issues.
2. Spiders Over The Gutters
This is a Spider book. We know this because there are spiders crawling over the top of the panels and across the gutters. Which is where I always find spiders. They didn’t do this in We3.
3. Blood Under The Web Shooters
Scarlet Spider, Kaine, is a murderer trying to make good. But he’s still got a bit of the old Dexter about him. So, this book gets a bit violent, a bit bloody, a bit nasty. Of course the greatest violence in this book is very much detached from Kaine’s fists… and is disturbing in a very different way.
4. Doctor Vs Cop
The violence is, however, punctuated by comic relief, provided by the police and the doctors. Expect a lot of that. All very Scrubs.
5. Kaine Still Able
And yes, he may be under the Scarlet Spider suit, but a first issue isn’t complete without Kaine in his traditional get up. However they get to it.
6. Checking For Acne In The Mirror
There is a paradigm shift here. Kaine is no longer hurtling towards the grave with the velocity he was before. And he’s got webs. Adapting to either could be rather traumatic. Life changing, even. But his face has cleared up, so that’s okay.
7. It’s All Heating Up
Oh yeah, and there are bad guys with facial tattoos, glowing eyes and chin spikes. And really pathetic moustaches that would never pass muster in Movember.
Scarlet Spider #1 is published by Marvel today.
- Photos: Inside Last Night’s Blade Runner VIP Party At San Diego Comic-Con - July 20, 2017
- The Tempest – Alan Moore And Kevin O’Neill’s Final League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen Announced - July 20, 2017
- San Diego Comic-Con 2017 On Video: From One Side Of The Show To The Other - July 20, 2017
- Marvel Releases First Poster For ‘Avengers: Infinity War’ At San Diego Comic-Con - July 20, 2017
- Footage From Kingsman 2: The Golden Circle Shown At San Diego Comic-Con – Halle Berry Just Chugged Half A Glass Of Bourbon - July 20, 2017