Yesterday, Bleeding Cool ran a story about a North Carolina comic store, The Comics Conspiracy, that has announced it was boycotting Action Comics and all Grant Morrison comic books because in Action Comics #1, Superman says “GD”. And he saw that as offensive to his Christian faith.
The owner did confess to selling Avatar’s Crossed, but said Action Comics #1 was a step too far, which led to above piece posted to Reddit. He contined to post;
First and foremost, I want to make a formal apology to Grant Morrison. I made a statement in anger after reading the issue in question after the store closed on Wednesday. Mr. Morrison, I most humbly apologize for calling you a “Scottish schmuck”, I was way out of line. This is a true heartfelt apology.
For right now though, I have to admit that the can of worms that has been opened is much larger than I ever dreamed it would be. But that’s OK. There are a lot of interesting views here mixed in among the hate. The bottom line is that nobody but Grant Morrison knows the TRUE intent behind the GD letters. This issue could be easily resolved by a simple post from either Mr. Morrison or the editors at DC Comics.
He asks, he gets an answer. Grant Morrison has replied on DC’s website saying;
“It should go without saying that the offending panel and caption, a mere ‘GD’, is a sound effect grunt – to suggest Superman’s breath being forced through gritted teeth – much like ‘DHH’, ‘GNUHH’ or the many others used throughout this book and in general in the comics business. It’s not in any way representative of God or a curse.”
It’s “gay Beast” all over again isn’t it?
UPDATE: The retailer has responded;
Thank you Grant Morrison. The boycott is lifted. Once again my apologies to Grant for the unwarranted name calling. Thank you to those who supported my stance. To those who didn’t… I respect your opinions. To those who only posted to bash Christians and people with opinions different from yours… grow up and get a life.
Um… didn’t much of those original posts concern bashing people with opinions different from yours?
- How Imperious Are Today’s Secret Empire Crossovers? Secret Empire #5, Occupy Avengers #8, Amazing Spider-Man #29, Guardians Of The Galaxy Annual #1 - June 28, 2017
- Does Doctor Who Christmas Special Shooting Reveal This Saturday’s Cliffhanger? (SPOILERS) - June 28, 2017
- Suicide Squad Continues To Spread The Love For Graphic Designers - June 28, 2017
- Fantastic Four Characters Removed From Sale For Marvel Heroes Game - June 28, 2017
- Steve McNiven’s Old Man Logan, Recreated As Shoreditch Graffiti By Twentieth Century Fox - June 28, 2017