Jim Lee and Geoff Johns just took the stage to talk about the DC Comics relaunch as part of the LA Times’ Hero Complex Film Festival. There were lots of rumors flying about this event earlier tonite, which I think mirrors the incredible level of interest in what they’re attempting to accomplish here. I’m watching Twitter and the Newsarama Live Blog coverage like everyone else. Let’s find out what people are saying…
- The new Justice League of America series will start in the past with the JLA’s origin. The second arc of the book will then jump to the current time.
- There’s a lot of discussion about the history of the characters here, from what the Crisis reboot meant for DC and comics, and back to the core origins of the characters in DC’s decades-long history. There’s the sense that Lee and Johns are well aware of the scope of what they’re attempting.
- Grant Morrison gave commentary on the Action Comics relaunch via video. To no one’s surprise, he’s promising an unexpected and fundamentally new take, and “a ridiculous voyage into the unknown”. Morrison’s video should be available online soon.
- The event ended with the audience definitely wanting more. There was no Q&A at the end, much to the disappointment of everyone following along on twitter.
There are many questions left to answer here, and the rumors leading up to this event were fast and furious… all of which leads me to believe it’s going to be another busy week of DC news next week. Check out the transcript of Newsarama’s coverage for a few more tidbits.
- What Does Epcot Announcement Mean For Guardians Of The Galaxy 4 And Beyond? - July 15, 2017
- Roswell, The Beginnings Of The UFO Craze And What It Has To Do With DC Comics - July 8, 2017
- Image Comics, Howard Chaykin Issue Apology, Pull Cover For Divided States Of Hysteria #4 - July 1, 2017
- The Secret Origin Of Spider-Man’s “Friendly Neighborhood” - June 26, 2017
- Did Somebody Say Madam Satan? Pep Comics #16 Heats Up At Auction - June 16, 2017