For the last year, Dark Horse has been publishing titles originally published by Gold Key and owned by Classic Media, Magnus, Robot Fighter, Turok, Son Of Stone, Doctor Solar, Man Of The Atom and continuity algned titles such as Mighty Samson and Doctor Spekto. And they has the man who relaunched these comics in the nineties to much success with Valiant, Jim Shooter, to write them. And used Free Comic Book Day last year to launch the titles.
However, there had been delays on the books and a number of people had noticed that the comics seemed to have disappeared from the Dark Horse website, solicitations for future issues not present. Only Magnus and Mighty Samson are listen for the end of the month after that, nothing. And the August solicitations only has Doctor Solar listed – and absebt from the Dark Horse website, along with June and July solicited titles.
In this context, Janet Jackson (not the singer) creative collaborator and partner of Jim Shooter for decades, posted;
Unfortunately, Dark Horse has cancelled the books. They are doing a few more, I think to finish out enough issue to do trade PB, but because of the high price of the license from Classic Media, dropping sales figures as well as increasing interference from Classic Media into the content of the comics, Dark Horse decided to drop the books. They still like Jim and want to work with him on some things. He’s still very disappointed. But Classic Media is asking too much for too little and they’ve caused problems as well.
I’m so sorry to have to tell you. Or to even have to say it. It’s very disappointing. I was really loving the stories.
Word from Dark Horse however is that there were no problems with Classic Media. I feel a “he said, she said” back-and-forth on the way…
- Diamond Says X-O Manowar #1 Was 10th Bestselling Comic In March, Not 12th As Previously Reported - July 24, 2017
- Marvel Comics To Publish Sampler Volume For Star Wars Reads Day In October - July 24, 2017
- Zack Kaplan And Andrea Mutti’s New Comic ‘Port Of Earth’ Coming From Image Comics In November - July 24, 2017
- DC Comics To Run TV Ads For ‘Dark Knight III: The Master Race’ Collection For The Holidays - July 24, 2017
- Details On How Harley Quinn Will Take Over Batman Day In September - July 24, 2017