In Hardware #1, Dwayne McDuffie wrote this scene, a metatextual commentary on his leaving Marvel Comics to set up Milestone Media at DC Comics, launching a brand new range of ethnically diverse superhero comics.
While it tied into the character’s story, an engineer who sees his work exploited by an employer without recompense, so he sets up on his own, it had a very personal resonance. It was what he was doing with Milestone.
It’s a scene he’d reprise in the Milestone Forever final issue years later, that was intended to set up all the Milestone characters within the DC Universe.
Except this time it summed up his experiences with Milestone and DC Comics. And it had two further reprises in the comic;
Goodbye Dwayne McDuffie.
- Tom Holland, The New Spider-Man, Films Video For Free Comic Book Day To Promote Marvel’s Secret Empire - April 27, 2017
- Sean Gordon Murphy, Signing And Talking In London On Saturday - April 27, 2017
- Tying Up One Of Those Civil War II Hanging Threads In Today’s Ultimates 2… - April 26, 2017
- DC Comics Ch-Ch-Changes – Hal, Hell And Harley - April 26, 2017
- Another Fake Jack Kirby Page Sells For Over $2000 On eBay - April 26, 2017