In Hardware #1, Dwayne McDuffie wrote this scene, a metatextual commentary on his leaving Marvel Comics to set up Milestone Media at DC Comics, launching a brand new range of ethnically diverse superhero comics.
While it tied into the character’s story, an engineer who sees his work exploited by an employer without recompense, so he sets up on his own, it had a very personal resonance. It was what he was doing with Milestone.
It’s a scene he’d reprise in the Milestone Forever final issue years later, that was intended to set up all the Milestone characters within the DC Universe.
Except this time it summed up his experiences with Milestone and DC Comics. And it had two further reprises in the comic;
Goodbye Dwayne McDuffie.
- Valiant’s Quantum and Woody! #1 Gets a Very, Very Exclusive Second Printing for the CBLDF - December 18, 2017
- Hawkman’s Ultimate Weapon: The Claw of Horus - December 18, 2017
- Top 300 Comics and Graphic Novel Sales for November 2017 - December 18, 2017
- Separated At Birth: Mister Miracle #5 and Hawkeye - December 18, 2017
- New Fighting American Series for March 2018 from Gordon Rennie, Andy Tong and Jerry Ordway - December 18, 2017