In Hardware #1, Dwayne McDuffie wrote this scene, a metatextual commentary on his leaving Marvel Comics to set up Milestone Media at DC Comics, launching a brand new range of ethnically diverse superhero comics.
While it tied into the character’s story, an engineer who sees his work exploited by an employer without recompense, so he sets up on his own, it had a very personal resonance. It was what he was doing with Milestone.
It’s a scene he’d reprise in the Milestone Forever final issue years later, that was intended to set up all the Milestone characters within the DC Universe.
Except this time it summed up his experiences with Milestone and DC Comics. And it had two further reprises in the comic;
Goodbye Dwayne McDuffie.
- ‘Ninjak Vs. The Valiant Universe’ Footage from ‘Bat In The Sun’ Shown At SDCC - July 23, 2017
- Announcing The Winners Of The 2017 Diamond ‘Best Practice Awards’ For Comic Retailers - July 23, 2017
- Charlize Theron Kicks Ass At San Diego Comic-Con - July 23, 2017
- An Hour With Adam Savage - July 23, 2017
- The DC Masterclass Panel Welcomes Latecomers, From Dan DiDio To Greg Capullo To Frank Miller - July 22, 2017