In Hardware #1, Dwayne McDuffie wrote this scene, a metatextual commentary on his leaving Marvel Comics to set up Milestone Media at DC Comics, launching a brand new range of ethnically diverse superhero comics.
While it tied into the character’s story, an engineer who sees his work exploited by an employer without recompense, so he sets up on his own, it had a very personal resonance. It was what he was doing with Milestone.
It’s a scene he’d reprise in the Milestone Forever final issue years later, that was intended to set up all the Milestone characters within the DC Universe.
Except this time it summed up his experiences with Milestone and DC Comics. And it had two further reprises in the comic;
Goodbye Dwayne McDuffie.
- Rick Veitch’s Maximortal Sequel In Stock At Amazon Right Now - October 19, 2017
- Udon Puts Gisèle Lagacé And David Lumsdon’s Ménage À 3 Into Print In February 2018 - October 19, 2017
- 25 DC Variant Covers By Grampa, Sienkiewicz, Hitch, Lee And More For November Including Metal #4 - October 19, 2017
- Mighty Thor #700, One Of 7 Marvel Legacy Comics Going To Second Print - October 19, 2017
- Will You Have A New Year’s Eve Party, Or Wait For An Avengers #675 Party? - October 19, 2017