In Hardware #1, Dwayne McDuffie wrote this scene, a metatextual commentary on his leaving Marvel Comics to set up Milestone Media at DC Comics, launching a brand new range of ethnically diverse superhero comics.
While it tied into the character’s story, an engineer who sees his work exploited by an employer without recompense, so he sets up on his own, it had a very personal resonance. It was what he was doing with Milestone.
It’s a scene he’d reprise in the Milestone Forever final issue years later, that was intended to set up all the Milestone characters within the DC Universe.
Except this time it summed up his experiences with Milestone and DC Comics. And it had two further reprises in the comic;
Goodbye Dwayne McDuffie.
- Avengers #675 Begins Weekly Avengers Story For 2018, No Surrender, With Mark Waid, Al Ewing, Jim Zub, Pepe Larraz, Kim Jacinto And Paco Medina - September 25, 2017
- Mindless Speculation About Where Marvel Legacy Revelations May Lead - September 25, 2017
- Artist David Marquez Spotlighted At Rose City Comic Con - September 25, 2017
- Is Mark Millar Putting Flash Gordon Back Into Starlight? - September 25, 2017
- Talking With Skottie Young: “I Think It’s Amazing I’m Known At All” - September 25, 2017