In Hardware #1, Dwayne McDuffie wrote this scene, a metatextual commentary on his leaving Marvel Comics to set up Milestone Media at DC Comics, launching a brand new range of ethnically diverse superhero comics.
While it tied into the character’s story, an engineer who sees his work exploited by an employer without recompense, so he sets up on his own, it had a very personal resonance. It was what he was doing with Milestone.
It’s a scene he’d reprise in the Milestone Forever final issue years later, that was intended to set up all the Milestone characters within the DC Universe.
Except this time it summed up his experiences with Milestone and DC Comics. And it had two further reprises in the comic;
Goodbye Dwayne McDuffie.
- 26 DC Comics Covers For September: Greg Capullo, Jason Fabok, Bill Sienkiewicz, Bryan Hitch, And More Metal - August 23, 2017
- Christopher MacBride To Adapt Scott Snyder And Jeff Lemire’s ‘A.D.: After Death’ For Sony - August 23, 2017
- X-O Manowar #6 Gives Aric A Brand New Look, But Is It The One We Want? - August 23, 2017
- Today’s Deadpool Channels Marvel’s ‘Star Comics’ To Get Past Its Roughest Scene - August 23, 2017
- Titan Comics Publishing A Comic With A New Doctor, In November 2017 Solicits - August 23, 2017