In Hardware #1, Dwayne McDuffie wrote this scene, a metatextual commentary on his leaving Marvel Comics to set up Milestone Media at DC Comics, launching a brand new range of ethnically diverse superhero comics.
While it tied into the character’s story, an engineer who sees his work exploited by an employer without recompense, so he sets up on his own, it had a very personal resonance. It was what he was doing with Milestone.
It’s a scene he’d reprise in the Milestone Forever final issue years later, that was intended to set up all the Milestone characters within the DC Universe.
Except this time it summed up his experiences with Milestone and DC Comics. And it had two further reprises in the comic;
Goodbye Dwayne McDuffie.
- John Tyler Christopher Switches From Action Figure To Trading Card Covers – And Jim Lee’s Astonishing X-Men 1:1000 Variant Revealed - June 22, 2017
- Marvel Promises Marvel Legacy Will Affect Every Hero, Every Title, Every Story, Announced Tomorrow - June 22, 2017
- Dave Sim Does Superman For Aardvark Comics #1 - June 22, 2017
- Gendercrunching April 2017 – Marvel Comics, DC, Image, Dark Horse And IDW - June 22, 2017
- Expect A “Return To Planet Hulk” With Marvel Legacy - June 22, 2017