It’s a good thing they both already have helmets, right? Everybody knows there’s a longtime tradition of debuting high-profile, expensive, elaborate ad campaigns during the Superbowl, and this year Marvel Studios gets a piece of the action with spots for Thor and Captain America.
30-second spots are running $3 million per 30 seconds this year according to the Hollywood Reporter, and given the cost and the fact that Marvel has released virtually no footage of significance for Cap yet — and that the stills so far have met with mixed reactions — this would seem to imply a high degree of confidence that the studio can have something impressive ready to run in little more than 2 weeks. It’ll be interesting to see if anything is leaked to soften the ground before the game.
Overall, the nerds are invading the jocks’ turf in a major way this year, with ads for Transformers: Dark of the Moon, Cowboys & Aliens, and J.J. Abrams’ Super 8 among others set to run.
Paramount will have a monster studio presence during the Feb. 6 telecast, buying ad time to plug five films — J.J. Abrams’ alien-invasion pic Super 8, the threequelTransformers: Dark of the Moon, Gore Verbinski’s CGI filmRango and Marvel’s superhero pics Thor and Captain America: The First Avenger. All are high-priority event movies for the studio.
As in past years, the Super Bowl will provide the first glimpse of Hollywood’s summer lineup. Disney has bought time during the game for Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, while Universal and DreamWorks’ will plug the Daniel Craig-Harrison Ford sci-fi western Cowboys & Aliens.
Rango opens March 4, followed by Thor on May 6, Pirates on May 20, Super 8 on June 10, Transformers on July 1, Captain America on July 22 and Cowboys on July 29.
- Starting Today: CGC Insider – Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Comic Book Grading, And More - January 19, 2017
- The Rock Talks #BlackAdam And The Entire DCU: “Hope, Optimism & FUN… Prepare Yourselves DC Universe” - January 11, 2017
- Alien: Covenant Short Teaser Starts Unwrapping Your Christmas Present A Day Early - December 24, 2016
- Milwaukee Bucks Owner Marc Lasry Sells Wonder Woman #1 CGC 9.0 ‘Solicitation Copy’ For Record $291,100 - December 14, 2016
- Transformers: The Last Knight Poster – What… Has Happened To Bumblebee? - December 13, 2016