The Panama City News Herald reports that a man held a school board meeting in Florida at gunpoint and opened fire, after walking up to the podium and daubing a V symbol in a circle with spray paint on the wall
That symbol will be familiar to many comic book readers and film goers as the symbol used by the character V in the comic and movie V For Vendetta, a reworking of the famous Anarchy symbol, though the red paint is indicative of the film more than the comic.
Identified as Clay Duke, whose wife recently lost her school job, he was shot by former School Board member and district security chief Mike Jones, who was alerted to the incident, and the paper believes that Duke died as result. They also state that Duke’s weapon was a cap gun.
The imagery of V For Vendetta, specifically that of Guy Fawkes has been popularised by a variety of protest groups since the movie’s release, including the Anonymous group.
UPDATE: This is Clay Duke’s Facebook page
And one of his Facebook photo albums under the title “What Must Be Done”
My Testament: Some people (the government sponsored media) will say I was evil, a monster (V)… no… I was just born poor in a country where the Wealthy manipulate, use, abuse, and economically enslave 95% of the population. Rich Republicans, Rich Democrats… same-same… rich… they take turns fleecing us… our few dollars… pyramiding the wealth for themselves. The 95%… the us, in US of A, are the neo slaves of the Global South. Our Masters, the Wealthy, do, as they like to us…
“There’s class warfare, all right, but its my class, the rich class that’s making war and we’re winning”
– Warren Buffet
Rise like lions after slumber
In unvanquishable number.
Shake your chains to earth like dew.
Which in sleep has fallen on you.
Ye are many – they are few.
UPDATE 2: Video of the event
- The Brand Manager Who Really Wants To Talk About Robotech - May 25, 2017
- Another Seven Marvel Comics Get Exclusive Retailer Variant Covers For August - May 25, 2017
- Gendercrunching March 2017 – And The Eisner Awards Nominees - May 25, 2017
- Fewer Attendees, Fewer Comics Given Away, Fewer Participating Stores – Free Comic Book Day 2017 - May 25, 2017
- Shameless/Into The Badlands Writer/Producer LaToya Morgan Writes Zenescope’s Latest Robyn Hood Comic - May 25, 2017