That was a peculiar looking graphic novel that shipped this week. The second volume of Linda Medley’s Castle Waiting as published by Fantagraphics.
It’s an entertaining, beautifully illustrated tale about he daily, everyday lives of fairytale characters, set in and around the abandoned castle of Sleeping Beauty.
Originally self published, Fantagraphics have taken over publication chores, collecting the first series in graphic novel form, then serialising the second volume, which they have now collected.
But there was one thing missing from said collection. Linda Medley.
Here’s the cover to the first volume, next to the cover of the second.
Her name is not on the spine, or on the back text. Inside the book her name is only mentioned on the copyright indicia. And on the back, by the barcode is this removable sticker.
Fantagraphics told me that this change was at Linda Medley’s request but would say no more. This does seem to smack of a falling out of creator and publisher, with publication continuing due to contractual demands. After all, the last issue of Castle Waiting came out a year ago….
- John Nee is the New Publisher of Marvel Comics - January 16, 2018
- C2E2 Debut: Achilles Inc, Wretched Things, The Family Graves, Grief from Comics Experience and Source Point Press - January 16, 2018
- C.B. Cebulski Recommends Comic Book Artists Use Their Real Name - January 16, 2018
- Jackie Ormes and Carol Kalish Inducted into Eisner Hall Of Fame for 2018, 16 More Nominated - January 16, 2018
- Frank Cho Moves to Watercolours for Harley Quinn Covers - January 16, 2018