At the Cup Of Joe panel, Joe Quesada and friend teased and leaked a number of upcoming projects and teams, nothing Bleeding Cool hadn’t really covered… until the end of the presentation. This slide… a certain sigil.
The CrossGen logo. I believe we can draw the appropriate conclusion. Of course, Disney bought all of CrossGen’s assets in bankruptcy court to get Abadazad, didn’t they? And it looks like Marvel will be exploiting the rights to the publisher that at one time looked like it was going to become a major player in the industry.
CrossGen published from 1998 to 2004, the brainchild of investor and comic fan Marc Alessi. Rather than operate the freelance model of most comic industries, they brought creators across the country to work as employees within the company, based in Florida. They had a relatively wide fanbase and creators including Chuck Dixon, Ron Marz, Barbara Kesel, Josh Middleton, Steve McNiven, Brandon Peterson, Aaron Lopresti and Mark Waid as editor-in-chief, but fell foul of debts, late payments and eventual bankruptcy.
So… can we look to see Sigil, Mystic, Meridian, Scion and more?
- The DC Masterclass Panel Welcomes Latecomers, From Dan DiDio To Greg Capullo To Frank Miller - July 22, 2017
- Marvel’s Hasbro Panel At San Diego Comic-Con In 85 Photos - July 22, 2017
- New Thor: Ragnarok Poster Released To Dazzle The Senses - July 22, 2017
- Miracleman Is Coming. Just Not Yet. Wait. - July 22, 2017
- Motor Crush #9 Will Be A Flashback Issue Drawn By Cameron Stewart With Babs Tarr On Colours - July 22, 2017