So what else is going on? And how are stores whipping up publicity?
– Jim Hanley’s Universe in Manhattan (4 W. 33rd St.) will be THE place to be this FCBD. Not only will they be giving away free comics, but starting at noon, comic editor Jim Shooter and artist Dennis Calero will be signing copies of their FCBD comic, “Doctor Solar and Magnus: Robot Fighter,” and E. Max Frye will be signing “The Rising” from Radical Comics. Then all day long the guys from New Gen will be giving away autographed posters, CDs, T-shirts, comics and a chance to win a $25 Jim Hanley’s gift certificate. Also, in the past many surprise creators have been known to pop in unannounced to join in on the signing events, so there’s no telling how big this event will get. They will also be hosting a free standup comedy night starting at 7 o’clock. (jhuniverse.blogspot.com)
– Jim Hanley’s Universe in Staten Island (299B New Dorp lane) will be hosting a Yu-Gi-Oh! Shinning Sneak Peek tournament starting 1 p.m. Twenty dollars will get you a spot in the tournament, five packs of the new Shining Darkness expansion cards and an ultrarare promo card. Participants will have a chance to win many prizes including a rare play mat and T-shirts. (jhuniverse.blogspot.com)
– Comic Book Jones on Staten Island (2220 Forest Ave.) has invited a huge lineup of creators from Zuda Comics to sign their comics and do sketches. Guests include Evan Dorkin, Steve Ellis, David Gallaher, Lauren Monardo and the Timothy Twins. Also all purchases storewide will be 10% off. (www.comicbookjones.net)
– Bergen Street Comics in Brooklyn (470 Bergen St.) will be hosting their second FCBD event with a host of activities. Starting at noon it’ll start giving away comics and will have activities for kids ages 7 to 13. Later that evening, at 7 o’clock, there will be a release party of four new graphic novels published by :01 First Second: “Foiled” by Jane Yolen and Mike Cavallaro, “Zeus” and “Athena” by George O’Connor, “Resistance” by Carla Jablonski and Leland Purvis, and “City of Spies” by Susan Kim, Laurence Klavan, and Pascal Dizin. (www.bergenstreetcomics.com)
– Cosmic Comics in Manhattan (10 E. 23rd St.) will be giving away Uncanny X-Men #154 to the first 50 customers and will be offering 30% off everything in the store. (www.cosmiccomics.com)
– The Lair in the Bronx (1808 Colden Ave.) will be hosting a costume contest, an artwork contest and a storewide sale of up to 50% off. (www.laironline.net)
– Both of Midtown Comics’ locations in Manhattan (Times Square 200 W. 40th St./Grand Central 459 Lexington Ave.), will be giving each person every single comic offered for FCBD – many comic shops usually put a cap on how many comics each person can take – get there early because the line wraps around the block. (www.midtowncomics.com)
– Forbidden Planet in Manhattan (840 Broadway) will be giving away bags containing every FCBD comic available on a first-come, first-served basis. Once all their FCBD comics run out, they will be giving out stacks of comics picked from their own inventory. From 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Steve Mannion will be signing his FCBD comic Fearless Dawn, selling artwork and taking sketch commissions. Finally, there will be a sale of 15% off all graphic novels and there may be some unannounced giveaways. (www.fpnyc.com)
Muncie in Indiana has New York Times best-selling author Marjorie Liu and fellow award-winning comic book writer Sean McKeever will be at Alter Ego, 422 E. McGalliard, from 1 to 4 p.m.
USA Today talks to all sorts of creators about the event.
And there’s more publicity in Baltimore, Central Florida, Alameda, Newark, St Catherines, Greensboro, Sierra Vista, Niagra Falls (won’t they get wet?), Sioux City, Eirie County, Kingsport, Moscow/Pullman, Bend, North Tonawanda, Keizer, Evanston, Galway, Lake County, Minnesota, Manhattan Beach, and Binghamton.
Seriously this seems the easiset way to get publicity for your local comic shop.