It appears that McCrea’s Facebook account has been hacked, and messages sent to certain friends of his.
The scammer claims that McCrea has just been violently robbed in London, had his wallet, credit cards and mobile phone stolen, and is unable to fly home. And it asks the recipient to wire hundreds of Euros to a certain account to pay for a plane ticket.
The scam has already successfully worked on one person that we know of, who is now in touch with the police. The scammer gave a number of details regarding John’s career, contacts and friends, showing an understanding of the comic industry. It’s very possible that this scam may be used again, possibly with other comic book creators.
So if you receive a similar appeal, it may be worth double checking first,
- Tomorrow, Bill Sienkiewicz Pretends to Be Esad Ribic - November 20, 2018
- Aspen Teases the Return of Damsels In Excess in February 2019 Solicits - November 20, 2018
- Preview: Zoe Quinn and Robbi Rodriguez’ Goddess Mode - November 20, 2018
- So… How Are You Meant To Count Avengers Issue Numbers Now? - November 20, 2018
- Our First Look at Mark MIllar and Simone Bianchi’s Sharkey The Bounty Hunter for Netflix – With Covers From Frank Quitely and Matteo Scalera - November 20, 2018