It appears that McCrea’s Facebook account has been hacked, and messages sent to certain friends of his.
The scammer claims that McCrea has just been violently robbed in London, had his wallet, credit cards and mobile phone stolen, and is unable to fly home. And it asks the recipient to wire hundreds of Euros to a certain account to pay for a plane ticket.
The scam has already successfully worked on one person that we know of, who is now in touch with the police. The scammer gave a number of details regarding John’s career, contacts and friends, showing an understanding of the comic industry. It’s very possible that this scam may be used again, possibly with other comic book creators.
So if you receive a similar appeal, it may be worth double checking first,
- Diamond Comics Launches Digital Pullbox System for Comic Shops and Their Customers - February 23, 2018
- As DC Comics Leaves, Diamond Previews Gets A Manga Section, and Toys Get the Back Cover - February 23, 2018
- Marvel Comics Bets the Farm on Donny Cates at ComicsPRO - February 23, 2018
- Cerebus Gives Us ‘Dates Of Future Past’ in May - February 23, 2018
- Loot Crate Ditches The Catalogue in February 2018 Protect Unboxing - February 23, 2018