Yesterday, Joe Casey gave an illuminating interview into how comic book marketing works, regarding his recent Superman/Batman comic being an Our Worlds At War Aftermath title.
The piece suggests that “according to Casey, he wasn’t even aware that his “Superman/Batman” story was meant to be an aftermath of an event he himself wrote for years ago.”
But that doesn’t seem to be the case. While Casey is almost apologetic for the comic being marketed in such a way, one lost part of the interview about the “difference” between writing the original OWAW and this current story arc reads;
Well, in 2001, when the “event” first saw print, I was so whacked out on hallucinogens that I really have no coherent recollection of writing it. This time around, I’m a little more sober so I was more in control of actually trying to avoid any direct reference to the event itself. I just wanted to write a cool story with Superman and Batman doing cool shit so that’s what I focused on.
Basically Casey did know. It’s just the marketing he has a real issue with, as he goes on to say in another cut extract on the “challenge” of writing this story;
Upon being asked about the “challenge” of writing this story…”
Not much of a challenge for me, I just kicked back and had a good time writing these classic characters. I think the challenge is really down to the retailers, having to try and sell a book with an OWAW banner slapped across the cover. I mean, yikes.
The interview is still rather entertaining, and shows what happens when you attempt a puff piece interview with someone who has a percentage of Ben 10 money and doesn’t give a shit what happens with the rest of his life – he’s just having fun!
- DC Comics’ Reboot of Books Of Magic This Week - October 22, 2018
- First Review: The Green Lantern #1 by Grant Morrison and Liam Sharp – From 2000AD to Preacher? - October 22, 2018
- Valiant Entertainment to Publish ‘The Forgotten Queen’ - October 22, 2018
- Geoff Weber Adds Depth to The Scientists by Thinking Inside the Box - October 22, 2018
- Unboxing the Beatles Yellow Submarine Graphic Novel Special Gift Set from Titan Comics With My Dad - October 22, 2018