I understand that David Finch has signed an two year exclusive deal with DC Comics.
Canadian artist Finch has been an exclusive Marvel comics creator for some years now, working on high-profile titles such as Ultimate X-Men, New Avengers and Ultimatum and is the creator of Aphrodite IX for Top Cow.
David Finch will work as both writer and artist on one of DC’s highest profile ongoing books – featuring characters he holds dear – and it was this that swung the deal. Previously his only experience with DC Comics was on the DC/Top Cow crossovers.
Exclusive deals ensure that companies get the full use out of certain creators and prevent competitors from using them. In return, creators can gain higher page rates and guaranteed work for a period, as well as a number of employee benefits. There have been exclusive wars between Marvel and DC in the past, it looks like they be about to begin again.
It is likely that DC Comics Entertainment will paint this as part of the new direction of the company. Of late they have not been as aggressive about exclusive deals, but I understand this has changed considerably in recent months, with a number of Marvel creators telling me that they’ve been approached with some very enticing deals.
The next decade of comics starts here.
- Dark Horse Solicits For April 2017 – - January 24, 2017
- Changes To Tomorrow’s Comics – Detective Comics, Future Quest And Hal Jordan And The Green Lantern Corps - January 24, 2017
- Tomorrow’s Comics Today! A Comic Show – Star Wars, Saga, & Slayer - January 24, 2017
- Reading Nick Spencer’s Captain America While Reading His Tweets - January 24, 2017
- André Lima Araújo Is Drawing The Wicked + The Divine 455 - January 24, 2017