It features the likes of Liberty (glamorous transvestite superhero), Diva (a lesbian Wonder Woman), Prowler (absorbs the abilities of gay people), Glitter (male Dazzler), Indigo (beautiful French teleporter), and Mr Muscles & Butch (strong twins).
And every issue, you can see the team beating off such enemies as Muscle Mary, Pussy and the Pink Ninjas. Oh and there’s a spy character called James Bend, star of The Man With The Golden Bum?
No, I mean come on, there’s coming up with a novel take on the superhero genre, there’s even a strong point to be made with an all gay team, but fighting Pussy And The Pink Ninjas? That’s the best you could come up with? Did Sid James die for nothing in the Stonewall riots?
Attack Of The Fifty Foot Lesbian is at least funny though.
In a press release, Eden quotes himself as saying “Gay people in comics are fairly under-represented, but this new comic aims to address that. Spandex introduces a whole bunch of fabulous new characters who are set to take the comic world by storm! It’s a fun, experimental comic, full of drama, comedy, romance and action… all done in the best possible taste!”
The first issue is in shops now and is available as a download here. Eden also plans to release a number of Spandex mini-comics leading up to a full size graphic novel next year.
Expect a BBC3 option any day now.
- DC Comics are Really Crucifying Red Hood These Days - November 14, 2018
- So How Old Are Valeria Richards, Franklin Richards and Jonathan Kent Now? (Spoilers) - November 14, 2018
- When Wonder Woman and Captain America Challenge US Government Policy - November 14, 2018
- Venom #8 And Captain America #5 Have Very Similar Final Page Twists… (SPOILERS) - November 14, 2018
- When Was Iceman In the Fantastic Four? (Spoilers) - November 14, 2018