And twenty-one years ago he worked for Fantagraphics on the fondly-remembered Amazing Heroes magazine, and pitched a Gays In Comics article.
At a time when, basically, there hadn’t been any.
The piece looked at how the industry treated gay characters and topics, as well as gay creators, was split over two issues, kicked off industry debate and led to the long-running Gays In Comics panel every year at San Diego’s Comic-Con.
Today the GLA and PRISM work with gay creators, publishers put out comics with gay leads and the issue is addressed and represented in comics – with increasingly vical comment if they are done badly. But of course there are books and creators who have never approached the issue – and have stated they never will.
So maybe it’s time to look at the article again?
- Comics Creator Mark Campos Has Died, Aged 52 - January 20, 2018
- African American Superhero Comics ‘YouNeek’ Get UK/European Bookstore Distribution Deal - January 20, 2018
- A New Wolverine Comic From Marvel in April 2018… - January 19, 2018
- Martin Rowson to Adapt Karl Marx’s Communist Manifesto as a Graphic Novel, and More from SelfMadeHero in 2018 - January 19, 2018
- All 3 Marvel Comics Nominated for GLAAD Awards Have Been Cancelled - January 19, 2018