And twenty-one years ago he worked for Fantagraphics on the fondly-remembered Amazing Heroes magazine, and pitched a Gays In Comics article.
At a time when, basically, there hadn’t been any.
The piece looked at how the industry treated gay characters and topics, as well as gay creators, was split over two issues, kicked off industry debate and led to the long-running Gays In Comics panel every year at San Diego’s Comic-Con.
Today the GLA and PRISM work with gay creators, publishers put out comics with gay leads and the issue is addressed and represented in comics – with increasingly vical comment if they are done badly. But of course there are books and creators who have never approached the issue – and have stated they never will.
So maybe it’s time to look at the article again?
- Rewriting The Life Of Ted Kord, Blue Beetle, Today (SPOILERS) - April 26, 2017
- “He Pushed Us Forward” – Marvel Comics’ Tribute To Bernie Wrightson - April 26, 2017
- Well That Was Quick. X-Men Gold #2 Brings Back The Politics… (SPOILERS) - April 26, 2017
- Rewriting The DC Universe Today In Flash #21 – Bringing It All Back Again (SPOILERS) - April 26, 2017
- Today, Cassandra Cain Finally Chooses Her New Name (SPOILERS) - April 26, 2017