And twenty-one years ago he worked for Fantagraphics on the fondly-remembered Amazing Heroes magazine, and pitched a Gays In Comics article.
At a time when, basically, there hadn’t been any.
The piece looked at how the industry treated gay characters and topics, as well as gay creators, was split over two issues, kicked off industry debate and led to the long-running Gays In Comics panel every year at San Diego’s Comic-Con.
Today the GLA and PRISM work with gay creators, publishers put out comics with gay leads and the issue is addressed and represented in comics – with increasingly vical comment if they are done badly. But of course there are books and creators who have never approached the issue – and have stated they never will.
So maybe it’s time to look at the article again?
- Ten Thoughts About Doctor Who Series 11 Episode 7, “Kerblam” - November 18, 2018
- Doctor Who Season 11 Episode 8: Alan Cummings Comes to “The Witchfinders” - November 18, 2018
- Bleeding Cool Bestseller List 18th November 2018 – ‘Hard To Sell What We Do Not Get’ - November 18, 2018
- Penultimate Issue of Alan Moore and Kevin O’Neill’s Cinema Purgatorio in Avatar Press’ February 2019 Solicits - November 18, 2018
- AfterShock Comics Launches Stronghold. Oberon and a Hit Lunch Special in February 2019 Solicits - November 18, 2018