And twenty-one years ago he worked for Fantagraphics on the fondly-remembered Amazing Heroes magazine, and pitched a Gays In Comics article.
At a time when, basically, there hadn’t been any.
The piece looked at how the industry treated gay characters and topics, as well as gay creators, was split over two issues, kicked off industry debate and led to the long-running Gays In Comics panel every year at San Diego’s Comic-Con.
Today the GLA and PRISM work with gay creators, publishers put out comics with gay leads and the issue is addressed and represented in comics – with increasingly vical comment if they are done badly. But of course there are books and creators who have never approached the issue – and have stated they never will.
So maybe it’s time to look at the article again?
- Clive Barker Writing Nine Inch Nails Comics? Inside Heavy Metal Magazine’s Music Special - July 28, 2017
- Jim Starlin And Alan Davis’s Thanos: The Infinity Siblings OGN Will Be First In A Trilogy - July 28, 2017
- Frazer Irving, London Film And Comic Con And Doctor Endless - July 28, 2017
- Brian Herbert Adapting Dune Into A Three Part “Faithful” Graphic Novel – With More To Come - July 28, 2017
- The Look Of London Film And Comic-Con From The Upper Gallery - July 28, 2017